Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gabapentin  (Read 4434 times)

countrybumpkin

Gabapentin
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:01:47 PM »

Anyone on here who takes this drug?

I have taken my first tablet in the hope that it will eventaully help with my severe back/hip and leg nerve pain.

I can't use morphine as it affects my breathing and heartrate and lesser drugs have no effect on the pain so these epilepsy drugs are my only hope.

My Dr warned me that I would feel very drunk but to persevere as your body adjusts in time and the side effects lessen. I am supposed to take 1 tablet today 2 tomorrow and then themax dose of 3 day after but think I wlll have to tritate more slowly.

I am absolutely zonko. Feel very drunk, heavy body and head and can't even walk straight. Typing this is very intereting with no control over your hands!!

Would love to hear how others get on with it, do the side effects improve with time etc etc

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gabapentin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »

I would suggest over-night too.  I can't remember if you have to go to work  :-\ ?

I too would wait for a few days Btween doses in order to become used to the 'weird' feelings.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:47 PM »

Thankfully I am at home.  I have asked the Dr if I can get 100mg capsules and start very very slowly. The effect on my digestion is quite something :o  I feel like a very noisy inflated balloon and am wondering when the gale force winds will erupt ;D

I am sure it did reduce my pain levels even with one tablet so will keep trying.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »

That's the important issue, being as pain free as it is possible!  What did you take the medication with and did you lay down soon after? 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »

I took it after food although you don't have to but do need a full glass of water ( it dehyrates you).  I managed to keep upright thoughout, At first it felt nice, like you had had a few too many drinks but after about 3 hrs it was not pleasant and other side effects came as well.
The sickness has worn off but now I feel very hungry and this drug is well known for excessive weight gain whcih was another reason I didn't want to try it.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »

Once you have less pain will you be able to do more gentle exercise?  I find that eating fruit - currently wine grapes - fills me up  :-\ 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »

Have your tried sable grapes from M&S they are divine.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

Good luck.  I was prescribed it some years ago but didn't take to it at all.

Last year the vet prescribed it for my dog and it nearly killed him.

It is effective if you can take it as I know a lady who did well on it but it seems quite strong.

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »

I didn't get on with it. I had it for nerve pain & I really wanted to give it a go but it wasn't for me, it left me confused & dopey & I am like that anyway. ::)

Maybe if I had stuck with it a bit longer things may have settled down but I am not a patient person.
I also tried Pregabalin but that was the same - in fact Paracetamol or Ibuprofen were just as effective.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »

How's the pain this morning?

Grapes are from Waitrose ……… Muscat from Chile apparently.  Now about to open a new packet ;-)

elliebean

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »

Hi countrybumpkin, I have degenerating discs and other issues at the base of my spine and I tried Pregabalin, which are very similar to Gabapentin, for a while. Some doctors seem to prefer one over the other. Anyway, I'm usually very sensitive to side effects, but found I adjusted to these side effects fairly well. I did build the dose up very slowly though which may have been what helped.

Sadly, they didn't work for me, but I do know of a number of people with severe back pain who've found them very beneficial, so it's definitely worth trying to stick with them.

Good luck x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »

I couldn't try the lower dose gabapentin because the chemist had to order them in and it takes 48 hrs!
Yesterday I tried to walk around a bit and was in absolute agony. I decided last night to see a physio for their opinion as they are often the best for diagnosing. My husband had had great success with one a few years ago for ankle injury, he said she was very odd but very knowledgable. So I got a cancellation appt today and went. She is not convinced that my mri will show a disc prolapse but time will tell.  I have a very abnormal curve on my lower spine ( my bum has always stuck out ;D) and she said this is the cause of my exisiting herniated discs because of the compression and she said my sacro illiac joints were the worst she had ever felt and the one on the pain side was hot!  She said even a combination of facet joint pressure and si joint tightness can cause severe nerve pain without their being a bad prolapse of a disc.  She did some prodding and poking and rubbing which I knew about and I have to put ice on the area 4 times a day for 30 mins until I see her again in a week, hopefully with scan results as well.

When she pressed on my si joints I got nerve pain on both sides, not as bad as what I get when i stand up but same pathway. She said the nerves are def getting compressed when I stand.

So afterwards I feel very exhausted as if I have taken 10 sleeping pills and the pain is different, not as intense and much less in some areas although i still cannot stand and walk without alot of pain.

time will tell. I am holding off the gabapentin until after the scan and her next appt as I do not want to muddy the water.