Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Male menopause on This Morning  (Read 4029 times)

dangermouse

Male menopause on This Morning
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »

Dr Chris was just on with a guy who had many menopause symptoms (hot flushes, brain fog, depression, etc.), had given up work and had been suicidal and was just told he was just getting old by his GP. He later got testosterone gel from a private doc, after hearing him read out his symptoms on a Women's Hour discussion on andropause. He is now back to normal and has started working again.

Interestingly, Dr Chris was saying how it's hard for men to get the testosterone gel from their GPs as they tend to go by blood test results and the hormones often look normal. He said men are where women were (still are for some of us...) a few years ago when they struggled to get HRT as doctors panicked about putting hormones into women in case they caused cancer.

Well let's hope more men who need it go to their GPs and then it may start to desensitise HRT for everyone!

Joyce

Re: Male menopause on This Morning
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »

Hubby has just dissed this as I read it to him. Ah well!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »

It is obviously not the correct terminology though.  Time modern man thought up a name for symptoms. 

I like Dr Chris - perhaps he should write an article in the Telegraph who have a medical page on a Monday with Dr James le Fanu.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »

Isn't it called an Andropause when it's men?

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »

Yep, think you're right Taz. Though when hubby brought it up with an endocrinologist some 12 years ago he poo-pooed it, saying impossible! Hubby has always had weight problems, as long as I've known him.  He's overweight, though not as bad as previously. He now exercises, which helps.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »

NHS has information about it http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/male-menopause/Pages/Introduction.aspx  Sounds a bit like getting older to me...

Taz x

Meg

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »

Men do have adropause, should think it's leke us women, ie varies in its intensity.  The whole subject of the decline in sex steroids needs to be discussed and adressed more openly.  Are we to accept the decline in our hormones as the aging process or do we attempt to ameliorate the symptoms if possible?

Meg