Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Has Testosterone Made A Difference For You?  (Read 2343 times)

Tempest

Has Testosterone Made A Difference For You?
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »

Hi! I have had some good advice regarding adding Testosterone from Hurdity (thank you!) over on another thread but I would particularly like to hear from other ladies who are using it in surgical menopause. My Consultant at the menopause clinic says I can talk about adding it in at my HRT 3 month review. I had my BSO just over a year ago, and have only just started Estrogel 2 pumps daily just over a month ago. (Yes, that's over a year with no HRT).

How has it improved things for you? Has your experience been wholly positive? Any insights would be most welcome. Thank you! :thankyou:

Keepgoing

Re: Has Testosterone Made A Difference For You?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »

Hi I will let you know if I get some as I think I need it...will be interesting to hear from others xx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

I tried it for 6 months didnt notice any difference good or bad so I stopped using it . But that was my experiences yours might be different.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »

Thank you, dazned!

I'm not sure if I need it or not yet, keepgoing. I'm going to give the Estrogel a while to settle I think but I'm glad that the option is 'on the table'. Do let me know how you get on if you manage to get it!😊

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

I tried it for a little while, didn't notice feeling like I was any more interested in bedroom activities than before  ::)
 plus it made me feel cross, AND I got a spotty chin too!  :-\

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »

Oooer, Clovie! I think that was what I was afraid of! I don't want to swap moody and sweaty for angry and spotty (Hubby couldn't handle yet another version of me I don't think)!😮😉

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »

I didn't answer on here because you were asking about women with surgical meno - and you mentioned my posts - but not sure if you've had any responses?

However just to say re your last comment, you cannot compare your need for testosterone with Clovie for example (I hope you don't mind my saying that Clovie?) because you have had ovaries and womb removed and therefore one of the principle sources of the production of testosterone has gone. It is very likely that you will become deficient if not already.

Adding testosterone to provide a level that is within the normal physiological range for women should not produce the androgenic effects - except for some hair for example at the site of application. You will know from your libido especially whether your T levels have fallen - although in some cases the addition of oestrogen alone can help to restore this.

I have no increase in anger, no spots, I'm not moody and haven't noticed any chin hairs nor increase in lip hair - but my response (re bedroom) has improved dramatically even if libido is not much improved.

Hurdity x

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »

No problem, Hurdity  :peace:

And I apologise I didn't read the question properly. I'm not in surgical menopause.
I was just prescribed it as I was not 'up for it' much to my hubby's dismay.
Still not really though..... ???

Testesterone didn't make me more 'up for it'. So I presume I'm still deficient.
Maybe I should have tried it for longer? but it would just have been 'angry sex' the way it affected me!  :D

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »

Thank you so much, Hurdity! I'm finding it so hard to find info. that applies to surgical menopause - your help is very much appreciated!

To be honest, I have no urge for sex whatsoever. This makes me very sad! It was something that the Consultant at The Sandyford Menopause Clinic asked me, but I was such a wreck at the time I saw her that I asked if we could start with Estrogel and talk about it at my 3 month review and she said 'sure'.  I am wondering if this is a large part of the puzzle that's missing for me. She said at the time that Testosterone is indicated for someone in my position and she would be happy to prescribe it. I am so encouraged that you've not had any side effects from it!

I don't even dare dream that I will be 100% ever again, but 50% would be good! My surgery was very rushed and I wasn't prepared for it psychologically either, so I'm working on that too. I also lost my Dad just 3 weeks before the surgery. I'm starting CBT in a few weeks time too, and I am prepared to work hard overall on my wellbeing. I'm eating well, taking walking exercise at a brisk pace every day and don't drink, smoke or consume caffeine so I'm hoping that helps.

I tried Hystersisters too, but found that as most members were in the US, a lot of info. over there wasn't applicable to me here in the UK.