Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Re: LAVH -bso  (Read 3049 times)

Irish Csrol

Re: LAVH -bso
« on: May 09, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »

I have had a total hysterectomy with Overies,tubes and cervix remove on 5th May. They allowed me to come home on the 6th with no instructions on what I can and cannot do.
I have not had any HRT as I have to wait for the biopsies to come back. I am straight into a surgical menopause and have no idea what to expect. I have no follow up appointment booked as the surgeon said he would write to me. Does anyone know if I can have hrt with a cancer scare as I am completely st a loss and feeling  dreadful.  :'(

Tinkerbell

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »

There are a few ladies on here who have had hysterectomies so I am sure someone will have good advice.

I am not surprised you are feeling awful being thrown into menopause. How old are you and you say cancer scare, sorry not sure what you mean.
Did they give you any idea when your follow up appointment might be?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »

Hello Irish Csrol - welcome from me too.

I had a hysterectomy almost two years ago now and had a lot of help from this site https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/  The forum is very welcoming and you will find women in the same position as you.

It's appalling that you were discharged with no advice! This is from the hysterectomy association - my GP printed it off for me so that I knew what I could and couldn't do for the first eight weeks http://gallery.mailchimp.com/a5692c6457e86f0e2182630fa/files/sbs_recovery.pdf?utm_source=Free+Hysterectomy+Booklet&utm_campaign=30c61c525a-Booklet-14&utm_medium=email  You need to print it off and display it somewhere prominently in your house so that you, and whoever is caring for you, can see what you should and shouldn't be doing.

As for HRT - it is wise to wait for the result of your biopsies before deciding about HRT. You may find that meno symptoms such as hot flushes hit really quickly but, then again, some women don't get many symptoms at all. Be kind to yourself and post on here so that we know how you are doing.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:23:45 PM »

:hug: I had my hysterectomy 5 months ago. Taz's advice is good, so have a look at the links. All I can add is take it slowly, follow the advice on the links ( I did) and watch some rubbish tv.  ;) I hope you get good news quickly. I'm shocked you werent given any advice at discharge. I was in hospital only over night. If you are worried ring the ward. Let us know how you get on and keep posting for support if it helps. The only advice is avoid straining when going to the loo and use laxatives if necessary to get things going and don't lift things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »

Typical  :bang: :bang: :bang: the after effects of how a lady is likely to feel should be discussed B4 surgical intervention.  Good advice to ring the Ward, ask to speak to the Sister/Staff Nurse and ask questions.  Do you have a good GP?  Or ring the Practice Nurse in your Surgery?  There may be Nurse Practitioners who might be able to support you.  Or your local Pharmacist?

Rest, rest, rest !