Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wondering if I need testosterone??  (Read 6689 times)

Keepgoing

Wondering if I need testosterone??
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »

Hi I am on estrogel and utrogestan and I am feeling a lot better.  My lower back is still very painful more so on right hip continually and my ankles knees and calfs get painful when walking. I have always walked my dog with no bother but I am getting sore all the time now, also shoulders. My energy is very low and even just cutting the grass or doing the housework I'm buggered. I asked doc to check my testosterone levels and they have come back satisfactory. I'm not convinced about this could it be something else I could ask about as all this pain has really hit home since last year. I am peri and pissed of...should I ask to be referred to meno clinic?  What levels for testosterone are satisfactory ? Just so fed up with the back pain x

Kate50

Re: Wondering if I need testosterone??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:47 PM »

Do you know what your levels were?

Keepgoing

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »

No as I got results over the phone so think maybe I will make appt and ask but don't know what levels should be x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »

Why not ring the surgery and ask if you can just pick up a printoff of your blood test results?  If you have low energy levels and low libido, you may well need testosterone. 

Keepgoing

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:05 PM »

Thanks Mary g I will phone them and ask don't know if they will give me it but worth asking x

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »

They can't refuse they are yours.  They should print a copy if not ask to see them.  They are very small levels vaguely remember 0 to 1.5  Mine was  0.1
They will say they are fine but 1.5 is fine that's why that level is there.  Docs and receptionist don't know gynaes do.  My Dr said I would need my levels testing now I'm on testosterone the gynae said not.  Not unless your growing hair or running off with young men!  That hasn't happened after 3 months but aches feel better.

Keepgoing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:03:08 PM »

Thanks Kate al phone tomorrow and ask cause I think it's causing my low energy and pain cause everything else is gone with the gel and utro. X

Keepgoing

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

Hi got my testosterone levels

Free T4 13.3   Normal range 9.0-24
TSH       3.71. Normal range 0.3-6.0
Testosterone  1.4   Normal range  1-3.2

Doc says they are satisfactory but still going to ask you kind ladies on here what you think? X

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »

Hi Keepgoing

When I went to see Annie Evans she said she does not normally order T levels testing because the lab range is set for the high levels that men have and so at the lower end of the scale (which women are) the test is not sophisticated enough to distinguish between low and high for women.

As Mary G says - the most common reason for needing testosterone is having low or zero libido - but this is also due to low oestrogen. Many women have low energy levels and/or muscular aches and pains as well. This was the case with me. Libido gone as well as the big O, and I was getting muscle pains and exhaustion after my exercise classes - more than would be reasonable after getting used to them. Also general exhaustion especially in the mornings.

Testosterone has most definitely helped ( in addition to systemic HRT).  I've been taking it for a year. I don't know if higher oestrogen would have helped but didn't want to try this due to having to take more progesterone. I still don't have much libido but my response has recovered completely so the "O" 's happen again! Also do not get the muscle pains after exercise although I am still tired in the mornings.

Thyroid deificiency will also cause fatigue and fibromyalgia type aches and pains - there is a link. I think your TSH level - and therefore less than perfectly functioning thyroid gland may well be contributing. I know 4.5 is the cut off point but it's the level at which you feel well - ie it's a sliding scale - not "feel well" or not. I don't know whether docs would treat anyone with TSH levels like this. I don't know anything about T4 except it's T3 that's crucial - ie how well your body is converting T4 to T3 ( the active form). Also there is the issue of hashimoto's (the most common form of thyroid deficiency in older women as I understand) - and whether you have antibodies. Did they or will they test for these?

Sorry I am out of my depth re thyroid  - just know a few basics - I think countrybumpkin is the expert as she used to be an advisor.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Keepgoing

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:50:15 PM »

Thanks hurdity I got thyroid blood tests at same time they are fine, I think I will ask for referral to meno clinic and see if they are willing to give me some testosterone to try it as it is an effort to do anything. The only time I have had back pain exactly the same as this is always day before period and I am doing so well on gel and utro so defo think its hormonal...will see how I get on at clinic, thanks again xx

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02:02 AM »

I think being quick to anger is another sign of low testosterone. Studd gave it to my friend for her severe PMT anger.

She said it's really working!

Louloufell

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »

My results came back low testosterone and were unmeasurable <0.4
What I don't understand is that it said the range was 0-1.5!!!
Dr Studd has prescribed testim and Oestrogel have just started on the 11th May.
Let's hope it works 😊

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

I think being quick to anger is another sign of low testosterone. Studd gave it to my friend for her severe PMT anger.

She said it's really working!

That doesn't make sense as I understand it! Firstly I thought being quick to anger would be more likely to be a sign of high testosterone - but in women pmt anger is to do either with the oestrogen dip or the progesterone withdrawal.  I didn't think testosterone levels in women are linked to the menstrual cycle but I stand to be corrected if there is information to the contrary - I mean I know Studd prescribes testosterone as a standard part of his therapy - but not specifically for pmt  :-\ . Please enlighten me!

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »

I'd assumed that too as you think of testosterone being masculine and aggressive. He put it on her arm though and told her to rub it in and said 'this will stop the rages'?!

I have heard though that some men over 40 start to get sudden anger issues, so if their testosterone would be falling then that makes sense.

I suppose it could be like oestrogen where too much or too little can cause similar symptoms?

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »

Me three! Definitely too much Testosterone can cause anger, not too low.
Pages: [1] 2