Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Night time flushes  (Read 5154 times)

CherryC

Oestrogel and Night time flushes
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:59:17 AM »

Hi, sorry another question....on a separate issue to my previous question this week.  Professor Studd told me to up my oestrogel from 2 pumps to 4 pumps back in February (plus pea size testosterone).  I do feel good during the day on this (good mood/much reduced anxiety - not sure if its the increased oestrogel or the testosterone having the good effect or the combo). I had been having night time hot flushes prior to Hrt. The 2 pumps did not help this and they now seem even worse at the moment on the 4. Only seem to be getting 3/4 hours sleep as waking up so hot and feeling a bit wired. I had been taking the 4 pumps all in the morning but have split the dose now 2 in the morning and 2 before bed but it still does not seem to be helping. Any suggestions what might bring the night time flushes to a halt (no flushing during the day but never did, always at night).  (Age 55). I may email P. Studd today. Thank you for any advice.

Dancinggirl

Re: Oestrogel and Night time flushes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »

I actually get more flushes and wake too hot at night when on too high a dose of oestrogen. Over heating at night can be for other reasons - I find I get hot at around 4am and apparently this can be to do with our sleep patterns??!!!
As Stellajane has wisely said, the jump from 2-4 is big and my gynae suggests a gradual increase if needed.
I would be tempted to drop down to 2 again for a couple of weeks and then increase by half a pump at a  time gradually over a number of weeks.  Do make sure your bedroom is really cool at night and very light bedding that is breathable can help.  If you wake in a full sweat, then wipe down with a cold damp cloth and go back to bed and do some meditation. DG x

Niamh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »

Hi there

I see Studd too and I get that hot wired sleep on too much ostrogen, 3 pumps did that to me but 2 is fine most of time until my own hormones start mucking about in the background. I'd agree to try 3 and see. I'm not sure how you'd do half a pump and you'd have to waste loads. You could do 3 one day and 2 the next?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »

I find I can squirt out a smaller dose if need be.   I'd go back to 2 pumps a day for a while CherryC to see how you feel and then only increase to 3 pumps after 2-3 weeks if flushes etc return.  Sadly the night sweats can be more difficult to control.  Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »

CherryC, I am surprised you are still getting night flushes on 4 pumps of gel because that is the highest dose.  Do you know what you oestrogen blood level is?  The reason I ask is because I know that different women get different levels of symptom control on varying blood levels of oestrogen - I need to keep mine very high.  How much progesterone are you taking and is it worse when you are taking it? 

CherryC

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions - I will give thought to the best action and let you know how I get on.  Very grateful for the comments. x

CherryC

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »

Mary G - my last blood test was in February after being on 2/3 pumps for quite some time.  The estradiol reading was 114.  Professor Studd suggested the 4 pumps but said not to worry about the readings, more about if feeling well.  I was on 100mg utrtogestan for 1st - 10th of each month but as of 1st May, he has suggested I switch to Provera 2.5 to try and get into a better withdrawal bleeding pattern.  The hot flushes are throughout the whole month so don't seem to be better or worse at any time.   I am also surprised to be getting them on the 4 pumps. All very confusing.  A friend is on a 50mg patch and said her temperature control is great and she has not hot flushes day or night. x