Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena and spotting.  (Read 3260 times)

Tinkerbell

Mirena and spotting.
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »

Had a Mirena fitted last week, afterwards had light bleeding for a few hours, was told to expect that by doctor.

Now 10 days later I have some very light brown spotting, although I did a lot of reading up about the Mirena I am embarrassed to say I am still confused how it works :-\

It is 13 months since my last period and I have had no bleeding/spotting in that time prior to the Mirena fitting.

So far apart from the spotting ., that is now worrying me, I am happy with it apart from feeling a bit snappy one evening ( I was very tired though) I don't seem to have any side effects.

Cazikins

Re: Mirena and spotting.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:31:52 PM »

Try not to worry too much about the spotting Tinkerbell. It happened to me when I had mine fitted & it soon settled down.

I can't explain the ins & outs of it all but I know it it normal - hopefully one of the more knowledgeable ladies will explain it in detail.

I got on very well with the 3 I had fitted (not all at the same time tho  ;D ;D ;D).

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »

Spotting and bleeding for the first few weeks or even months after having the Mirena fitted is quite normal.  The progesterone in the Mirena will be slowly released to ensure the lining does not build up, however, it takes time for this to settle. DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »

So even if it was 13 months since last period I can still get spotting with Mirena?
Just confused with all that advice about getting post menopausal bleeding checked.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

Hi Tinkerbell - was your Mirena fitted as part of an HRT regime?

Taz x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:53:31 AM »

Yes, I started 50mcg Estadot patch the next day.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »

When using oestrogen, this will start to build the womb lining so will cause this spotting and even some proper bleeding initially.  If post meno bleeding occurs without any HRT then this needs to be investigated as it shouldn't happen.
So with the Mirena and the patch you will get some spotting and possibly bleeding for the next few weeks or even months as the body adjust to the hormones and this should all stop within 3-6 months but possibly sooner.  Dg x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »

I agree with Dancinggirl - if you are adding oestrogen then this spotting is not the same as having post-menopausal spotting or bleeding. It should settle within a few weeks or months.

Taz x