Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Why do hormones make us feel so ill?  (Read 3862 times)

Spangles

Why do hormones make us feel so ill?
« on: April 13, 2016, 04:23:50 AM »

I was congratulating myself last night on how well I've been feeling the last few days......... then BAM! I sank like a brick, I've been awake all night.
I always feel like I'm on the edge of a depression or breakdown, but I have brilliant days too so deep down I know it's the hormones!
I use citalopram, evorel 50 and utrogestan 200.
I feel like I only have a few good days a month, does anyone else feel like this or am I a freak?
I feel good for a few days around my period then I start to go down again.
Why do hormones make us feel so ill?
Thank you
Shellb
xXx

dangermouse

Re: Why do hormones make us feel so ill?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »

They are powerful things! If you're in perimenopause then the fluctuations can be massive and adding hormones may only make little dents here and there.

I suspect many of us who are struggling are in that volatile middle phase. Before I started the pill I went from one month with quite vague and subtle symptoms to all out craziness the next, and may have put that down to hormone replacement if I'd started it then. Also some hormone replacement/pills will cause anovulatory cycles which can make you feel awful, or great, but persist after you stop or switch. Day to day based on what you just took is very hard to judge.

I think it's important we realise we are trying to do something EXTREMELY challenging as hormones are so powerful and far reaching.

Accept this phase will at some point end and expect the fight to be hard and enjoy the moments of relief, but never take them for granted, just a nice sign of what's to come when it all eventually calms down.

Fight hard, fight dirty but NEVER fight yourself!!! If you are getting such bad reactions to what you're trying then there's a good chance it's got little to do with the HRT and would happen anyway so don't blame yourself for what you did or didn't do.

We are all amazing to be surviving this but it ain't easy, so stick some Beyoncé on (or whatever  :-\) and tell the world you will be back and it better watch out! Alright.

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »

Thanks for your replies.
Dangermouse you mentioned the 'middle phase', does this mean that the last phase gets better?
xXx

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »

I've read a few times that there is a mid perimenopause phase where surges are more apparent and symptoms can get very aggressive. It's apparently a last ditch attempt by the ovaries to get us pregnant!

I've had years of being in peri and feeling imbalanced but the surging has been the last 7 months which gradually got worse and worse. I suspect this then fades into gradual menopause once the ovaries have exhausted themselves.

Many on here like Stellajane give me hope as they have experienced the difference!

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »

It's always good to hear from ladies that have come through the worse, I really hope some more post some advice.
xXx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:59:03 PM »

Every month for years I felt *ill*  :sigh: ………. followed by intense period pains which crippled me for 24 hours.  Add to that flooding and I dreaded each month.  Then in my mid-30s I suffered with PMT  :'(.  Even knowing the causes didn't stop it happening nor did it stop me reacting to the physicality of it all.