Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Progesterone Creams  (Read 2834 times)

Dancinggirl

Progesterone Creams
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »

Hi all
I didn't know exactly where I should post this - perhaps it should have been under Alternatives???
I have just read a post from a new member who is concerned about side effects she is getting from using progesterone creams so I did some research.
I found this article from the online BMJ magazine and feel it could be of interest for all those that want to try  progesterone creams - these creams can be easily purchased without any advice from a doctor, they are heavily promoted as 'natural', a good alternative to prescribed HRT and therefore considered safe.
The BMJ is the leading medical journal so is considered reputable.

http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/30/warning-about-natural-progesterone

For me this highlights the dangers of trying 'alternatives' without the guidance of a medical professional.
Hope this is helpful  Dg x

freya

Re: Progesterone Creams
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »

Hi Dancing Girl

I don't know if you were replying to my email (I'd talked about using ProGest, and what happened when I did), but your post is really helpful. I've looked at the BMJ article, and it makes a lot of sense. So thank you. I've decided to leave the hormones for the moment and see how it goes - it has to settle down at some point!

Best,

Freya

Dana

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »

Progesterone creams are a marketer's dream way of making money. They push all the "dangers" of regulated HRT and market the creams as a safe alternative and cure-all, but overuse can be dangerous. I've read many accounts of women who use it and then develop progesterone toxicity. Dr Elizabeth Vliet gives some good accounts of this in her books.

Even those who think they are doing the right thing by using the so-call "bioidentical" progesterone creams are playing with fire, especially if they have a uterus and are using them to oppose estrogen. There is no evidence that the topical use of progesterone will sufficiently oppose estrogen. It needs to be taken internally somehow (either orally or vaginally) and if that doesn't suit you, you need to use a progestin. 

dogdoc

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »

Tried it on the advice of a doctor ( would gave tried anything!!! To feel better). 

Made me insane. Literally a weeping, panicking ball of suicidality that lasted about 2 days after using it for about 5-6 days. 
Never never again. 

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »

Early in my peri experience, my midwife recommended I purchase a progesterone cream and estrogen spray from a natural goods store. She was very vague with the instructions, like "you could try 2 or 3 sprays 2 or 3 times a day and add in the estrogan if your need it" The lack of definitive dosing really turned me off. I was afraid of getting myself even more messed up so I never tried it. I do feel like that delayed my getting any real treatment and had I been given proper hrt I wouldn't have reached the low that I did. I wish I had sought help from my gp from the beginning. Live and learn.

freya

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »

Hello everyone, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply - a bit of a blip with ME, but seem to be improving. I just wanted to say thank you so much for these responses - it does seem to be a minefield, and I've certainly learned not to try anything without professional supervision. Thanks again,

Freya