Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Postmenopause 48 hot and cold flushes  (Read 9587 times)

scumspawn

Postmenopause 48 hot and cold flushes
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »

Hi
I'm 48 and haven't had a period for a couple of years. The Dr suggested I have a FSH blood test (not needed according to NICE guidelines) so I came off the pill (Loestren 20, a combined pill) which I was really happy on for 2 weeks so they could test it.

Since that 2 weeks off the pill (which was not fun, no sleep, crying one day, furious the next) I'm 4 weeks back on the pill and I have no control over my temperature at all, hot one minute, freezing the next, no sweats but it's impossible to sleep through. I'm a single parent to an autistic child, I'm also self employed. I seriously need to sleep to be able to cope with life stuff.

The dr wants to put me onto HRT which would be an even lower dose of oestragen than the pill. I understand it's safer, even though I'm low risk for everything and I've over a year until I'm 50 but I don't understand how I can cope on a lower dose if I'm finding this dose hard work.

I've read so much I can't read any more, it all seems to say that I need to try different types of HRT to see what works best. I just want this over and done with.

I've put on over a stone in the last year, some of it is because when I'm really tired all I want is carbs and sugar, I can't think to eat properly. Some of it has to be menopause fat - I was going to the gym 3 times a week and had almost totally cut out wheat and sugar for half of last year and none of it shifted. I'm beyond caring that much about my size but I'm confused as to what is going on - are the fat cells storing or making oestragen?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:56:51 PM by scumspawn »

Dancinggirl

Re: Postmenopause 48 hot and cold flushes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM scum spawn
HRt is different to The Pill - the hormones these days are more natural, will reduce your meno symptoms and protect your heart and bones for the long term. HRt comes in different doses so you start on a low dose and increase dosage if your meno symptoms are not reduced. Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to find out more.  Do try something like Femoston 1/10 first as the progesterone is often better tolerated. It seems your GP is a bit more 'on the ball' than most which is good to hear.
Weight gain is common once we hit meno but to be frank one simply needs to eat less as we get older!!! It's a good idea to get your thyroid function checked as well as weight gain and lack of temperature control can be an indicator that the thyroid isn't working properly - the thyroid often starts to play up at the same time as the meno!!!! Once on HRT you may find you have more energy again so can get more exercise. Get going on the HRT and see how you go - I bet you will feel better. It is trial and error with HRT but do be patient - it can take 3-6 months before you feel restored. Keep us posted.  Dg x

scumspawn

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »

I've just got back from the Dr, she has prescribed me Elleste Duet Conti but I'm going to give them 3 weeks and see her again then.

scumspawn

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

sorry, was multitasking, didn't get a chance to say thank you Dancinggirl!
My Thyroid is fine, I lift weights most days and run sometimes, when it's not raining. I walk most days too.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »

scumspawn - I wonder why the GP gave you a conti HRT??!!!  You may still be peri eo and even then it's a good idea to start with sequi HRT to se whether the progesterone suits you. 3 weeks is not enough to see if the Ellest Duet suits you - you need to try at least 3 months really. You will get some bleeding fro the first 3-6 monthson a conti regime so do expect this to happen. If you get PMT type symptoms then try Femoston 1/10 sequi next - you will get a more predictable monthly bleed which many of us refer (even in post meno). Dg x

scumspawn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »

I haven't had a period in 2 years at least, the last real one I remember was 3 years ago then they tailed off pretty quickly -  and I had a FSH blood test, we are pretty sure I am past the peri stage.

do you think I'm likely to bleed again? It's a 28 day pill, no gaps

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »

scumspawn - it will be very unusual not to get some spotting and/or bleeding when starting any HRT for the first 3-6 months as this will be your uterus waking up and adjusting to the hormones.  On a conti regime any erratic bleeding should settle down and stop within the 3-6 months.  Do read the info leaflet. You may do really well on Elleste  - so see who it goes - GPs always give this one first as it is the cheapest!!!!.  You will probably find you are sleeping better within a couple of weeks.  DG x

scumspawn

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »

even though I was on the pill for the last few years? Sometimes I took a week off (it was a 21 day pill) sometimes I had packets back to back, no bleeding at all.

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »

scumspawn, give the HRT that you have been prescribed a try but if it doesn't work out, I would suggest your go for the bio identical, transdermal Oestrogel/Utrogestan regime on a cyclical basis.  I have found it to be the most effective form of HRT by far and it has far fewer side effects. 

Elleste Duet Conti contains norethisterone and many women don't get on with it, myself included.  Also, it is in tablet form and I didn't find oral HRT to be very effective but as DG says, GPs always give out cheap stuff first. 

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time and I think you would definitely benefit from HRT, especially as you are so young so please don't be put off if it doesn't work out this time. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:15 PM »

What support do you get for your child?  At this 'time' of Life ladies need lots of 'me' time! 

I had cold flushes when taking Tamoxifen which would begin across the back of my shoulders and 'flow' down to my waist.  I thought I was having 'flu the first time it happened whislt in Hospital, that was after the 3rd dose - I had to stop because it made me SO ill.

Let us know how you get on.  Keeping a mood/food diary can be useful too.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »

scumspawn - I didn't mean to worry you about spotting or bleeding but I wanted to simply warn you that it is highly likely and is quite normal when first starting conti HRT.   HRT is very different from BCP, it contains natural oestrogen that has a different effect and this will stimulate the womb lining at first - HRT makes your body wake up after being hormone deprived. You will start to sleep more soundly, so hopefully be able to cope with life better.  Good luck and keep us posted.  DG x

scumspawn

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 02:10:47 AM »

Norethisterone was in my birth control pill, 1mg. Now its the same dose in the hrt. The difference is the bpc has ethinylestradoil 0.02mg, elleste duet has estradoil hemihydrate 2mg. So im getting a higher dose of a different oestragen. I was fine with the progesterone in the bpc.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 08:15:08 AM »

scumspawn - it's great if you were OK on the norethisterone - this means you should be fine on Elleste. The difference is the type and amount of oestrogen and this is exactly what you are needing. You will feel your body wake up and welcome this lovely oestrogen and should feel better quite soon.  Enjoy.  Dg x

scumspawn

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »

Oh I hope so, these 3am wake up's are killing me.
I don't understand why a higher dose is safer though!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

It's not necessarily a higher dose - HRt has different hormones and you are taking these hormones for different reasons.  You are still young and you need to use enough oestrogen to reduce meno symptoms and protect the heart and bones for the long term. Most BCPs are simply to stop you from getting pregnant and the newer style BCPs have a really low dosage generally. When we hit menopause we need more oestrogen to cope with the big drop of natural oestrogen we would normally produce.  DG x
Pages: [1] 2 3