Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes and night sweats despite being on HRT  (Read 10059 times)

ardee

Hot flushes and night sweats despite being on HRT
« on: April 03, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »

I am 43 and I had a total hysterectomy on 5 November 2015.  Before that I was on Zoladex injections (with Livial hrt) to put me into temporary menopause.  The first few weeks after the op I was okay but in the last three months I have started to get very hot in the night and am waking up multiple times.  I saw my GP and he changed my HRT to Elleste Solo 2mg but it hasn't made any difference.  Has anyone else experienced this (probably!) and if so have you found a solution that actually works?

Dancinggirl

Re: Hot flushes and night sweats despite being on HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »

Yep, Stellajane is right - some Oestrogel might work better for you.  It may also take up to 6 months for the oestrogen to build up and do it's magic.
Have you had your thyroid checked? Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »

I would definitely recommend Oestrogel, it's the best HRT product I have used by a very long way.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »

Hi ardee

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - transdermal oestrogen ( patch or gel) will get more hormone into your system - and you need this if your ovaries have been shut down. 2 mg oral oestrogen is only medium dose. You might also need testosterone.

Here are the different oestrogen preparations - scroll down for patches and gel:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Here is info about HRT after hysterectomy and also about testosterone:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

Hurdity x

ardee

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far ladies.  I have made an appointment to see my GP on 18 April but if anyone has any further suggestions or info I will be more than happy to read them all.

Pollie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »

How long have you been on your current regime ?  It can take a while for the full benefits to be achieved so if its less than say 4 weeks I would probably stick with it a while longer before making any changes...

pollie

ardee

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »

How long have you been on your current regime ?  It can take a while for the full benefits to be achieved so if its less than say 4 weeks I would probably stick with it a while longer before making any changes...

pollie

I have been on the current HRT since 26 Feb, so 5 1/2 weeks.  Got another 2 weeks before I see the GP.

Moomaid

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »

My GP told me it could take up to 3 months for my HRT patches to fully take effect.

I've definitely noticed an improvement after a month but still a way to go.

H