Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 12612 times)

zelda

Coming off HRT
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »

I am coming off  HRT, I almost 57 have been on it for almost 5 years mainly a very low dose. I have cut down gradually over the past month now at the stage of taking 2 tablets a week, I am starting to get mild hot flushes and I believe this is what to expect and sleeping is very poor but it was before I started to come off so can't blame this. I have heard that the flushes may diminish over time has anyone experience this?

zelda

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »

I see its pot luck I suppose, lets hope I am lucky.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »

Do you have the option of going back to your low dose if your symptoms return?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »

Hi zelda

Just wondered why you are coming off it? I'm almost 62 and have been on it for 9 years and don't intend to come off any time soon unless there is a medical reason to do so, and if I can continue to put up with the 2 monthly bleeds!

I tried to reduce my dose a couple of years ago - to 37.5 mcg and the flushes and sweats started to come back - and I just thought - what's the point of riding through this when I have work to do which means I need to be on top form? Why put up with lack of sleep, and aches and pains when I don't have to?

As Stellajane says - there is no way of knowing whether your flushes and sweats will carry on for years or fade out - but if you try - and then wait too long then it could be too late to re-start - or less easy anyway perhaps. As you get near 60 if you intend to continue then transdermal is preferred, rather than tablets. What type are you taking?

Hurdity x

bramble

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:16:39 PM »

Hi Zelda. I cut down and stopped taking a low dose conti pill. But I did it a bit more slowly than you - over 5 months. I did get a few hot flushes but they soon settled down. My sleep took a few months to get back into a normal pattern.
Good luck.
Bramble

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »

Zelda, why do you want to come off HRT?  Unless you have a health reason for doing so, I can't see the point of putting yourself though it.  There is no reason why you can't continue taking HRT indefinitely. 

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »

I am in the process of coming off HRT.

I am now on ultra low dose Femoston conti (Estradiol 0.5mg, Dydrogesterone 2.5mg).
After 3 months of changing to it in June last year I cut down to 1 tablet every other day - not much change, so after another 3 months I cut down to 3 tablets a week.
I am a bit more tired but no hot flushes to worry about. I am taking things very, very slowly & I will soon be thinking about cutting down to 2 tablets a week.

This is MY choice because I need to leave my menopause behind & move on. It has been a part of my life since I was 49 when I started HRT (I will be 59 later this year). I want to stop thinking about it & go to the next phase of my life, not stuck in a rut.

I just do not want to be on it for the rest of my life, & I also don't want to have to explain why to anyone.

Sorry but this probably doesn't make much sense to some of you. I think it is a control thing with me  ??? ???

So Zelda my advice to you is to take things very, very slowly & do not rush in to it thinking that it will happen in a few months. If you start to get symptoms coming back then go back a step. These things take time.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Love Cazi x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »

Hi Zelda - I came off it at aged 59 for a year after being on it almost continuously for six years. The flushes returned after around eight weeks and by twelve weeks were at the same level as they had been before I started HRT (every twenty minutes). I'm sorry to say that they stayed the same for the next nine months when I managed to persuade my GP to let me restart. I believe that some women do find that the symptoms do begin to get better after three to six months. Vaginal symptoms tend to worsen though so a topical oestrogen is a good idea if you suffer in this way.

I did try coming off HRT at the age of 57 and took a year to slowly taper the dose but the end result was the same - return of the symptoms.

Taz x

dazned

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »

Im nearly 4 months now off hrt and after having a few hot flushes during the night fora month which have now gone Im doing OK . So hopefully you will be the same. Good luck.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »

:foryou: dazned

Taz x  :)

dazned

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »

Thank you Taz2 I'll pop them in water !  ;)

zelda

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »

Thanks so much for the replies ladies. The reason I am coming off is mainly financial as I can't afford to pay for it anymore (I live in S. Ireland) so I am trying to come off and see how I go. If the symptoms return and are a nightmare then I will have to go back on it and find the money somewhere for the tablets.

I am suffering from depression so I am on Prozac and for me its more important to have the money to pay for these tablets.

I will certainly let you know how it goes, I think it will be another week or so before I am finished the hrt that I have and although I am getting some flushes they are bearable at this stage.

dazned

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

Hi Zelda you dont have to explain your reasons for stopping hrt , your decision to should be sufficient . As has been said already if you don't try you wont know will you. At least you will know one way or another and then if necessary make another plan  ;)

zelda

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 10:01:17 AM »

I thought I would let you guys know how I am getting on. The hot flushes are back with a vengeance. I must have woken up about 10 times last night. Luckily I eventually go back to sleep. I read on the advice that I should give it up to 3 months to see if they ease off. fingers crossed.

zelda

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »

Thanks StellaJane....I know what you mean about the Summer but I live in Southern Ireland on the West Coast and we don't get much hot weather so not too worried about that aspect.
Pages: [1] 2 3