Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Thrush from HRT  (Read 20196 times)

Midnight Shadow

Thrush from HRT
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »

Hi girls, has anyone experienced thrush from taking HRT. I have just started Kliovance and this is one of the side effects. Been getting a thin white watery discharge. Sorry for being personal.  Off to Doctors to seek advice. Now seems to be my second g home. Hope others are having a good day.

Milamam

Re: Thrush from HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »

Hi Midnight Shadow,
It may not necessarily be thrush! White or clear eggwhite discharge is common when estrogen is increased. It is like at ovulation time. Do you have any other symptoms ( i.e itchiness? Discomfort?).
I do get clear discharge from mid-packet toward my period, for a week or so. It stops when period arrives.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »

I agree with the others. If it's thrush you should be sore and extremely itchy. A thin white discharge is normal while on HRT for a lot of women.

Taz x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:40:16 PM »

Thanks for your replies girls. The Doctor said Thrush is a common side effect of Kliovance. Also had a swab taken by the practise nurse. Wow that was sore and painful. She also thought it was thrush. Any taken fluconazle tablet and pray it works.  Hopefully get the results next Wednesday. Like others say, yes it is so sore and burning. Can't be coping with thrush and the Atrophy. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »

Midnightshadow - do get some Multi Gyn Actigel or Hyalofemme to use after every shower each day - this will really help to keep things healthy around that area and prevent further thrush or BV infections. i use a squirt on the end of my finger which I push up inside and around the outside and it is very soothing after the initial bit of stinging.  Prevention is better that treatment.  Try eating live yogurt daily as well - never use scented soaps and take showers instead of baths.  Dg x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

Thank you dancing girl. Does the Hyalofemme burn? Everything I use seems to burn the skin down there. I did try a very small amount of my estriol cream again a fortnight ago but the burning was awful, so have been told not to use it again. Don't have a problem with Vagifem, thank goodness. Let's hope it is thrush and the tablet works and everything settles down. Thanks again girls for replies.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »

I use Multi Gyn Actigel which stings a bit at first but then soothes things.  I have found that if I don't use the Multi Gyn I become dryer (even with Vagifem) and then become sore and itchy. I also add a little Sylk which is also good.  The oestrogen creams really made me burn a lot. Dg x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »

Thanks Dancing girl, yes the oestrogen creams really make me burn, have been told not to use them. Well, I took the Fluconazole tablet last Thursday afternoon and Friday, Saturday and Sunday have certainly been much better. Unfortunately woke this morning with burning and stinging again. Can't wait to get my swab results. Would love them to tell me yes, it's thrush or bacterial infection. At least then I would know what's going on and get the right treatment. Have been on Kliovance for a fortnight, so early days yet for that. Hope everyone else is improving.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »

Midnight - the tests often don't show anything but the Multi gyn will alleviate and prevent problems. If it is your urethra that is mainly burning then you do need to avoid caffein, fizzy drinks and fruit juices - make sure you drink enough water - take showers not baths and never use anything scented e.g. don't wash your hair in the shower as the shampoo will get to your private parts and make it burn. Half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in some water twice a day is also a good idea - you could add some cordial if needed or put this in some herbal tea.
The systemic HRT should actually help as it will restore the natural secretions that help to prevent BV and thrush. Vagifem is also a good idea to help speed up the recovery from VA.  DG x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »

Thanks again. I will try the multi gyn again.  Haven't used that for a long time.   Hope it doesnt burn. Am using the Vagifem twice a week and Kliovance daily. Interesting you say not to have baths, because that is what I do. I only have dead sea salt baths which I find very soothing. Never use any perfumed soaps or anything in that area.  Thanks for all your advice, you are all wonderful.