Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mental Health Plans  (Read 2201 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mental Health Plans
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »

In my part of the Midlands there is a Plan to roll out new ways of dealing with mental health problems.  The public have been consulted, ideas will be collated and a Draft Plan will be developed.  It should be ready mid-Summer when the public/health workers get the opportunity to comment.

Apparently most of the comments so far has been that the public on the whole, require more GPs regardless; we need GPs with empathy; GPs who will take time regardless of Government guidelines or who will be OK about making double appt.s in order to be heard. 

The question was raised as to what current mental health support we would not want to lose.  I would like to see that once a patient is 'stable' and has access to regular medication and if necessary, talking therapy and/or Community Psychiatric Nurses, that these can be utilised without needing to have a GP appt. each time.  I would also like to see walk-in centres where people with mental health problems can feel safe, not necessarily with the need to talk but where they can have some 'space' and a cuppa. 

Himself was present but didn't have much input and the other person talked a lot with obvious problems himself as well as in-family problems.  It will be interesting watching this new initiative roll out.

countrybumpkin

Re: Mental Health Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »

My health authority has a self referral for mental health problems. Its cxxp!  Anyone can phone and ask for help, they are then phoned back within so many days for an assessment.  Within 4 weeks they get an appt with therapist and alot of these therapists just have basic counselling qualifications but this system ticks every box needed to say they provide instant access.
My friends son was suicidal and phoned and was told someone would ring him back within 2 days for an assesment!
On paper my health authority is the best there is for mental health access :o

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »

Acute mental services is high on the agenda.  The guy with us wasn't aware that people with psychosis for example needed instant access to immediate help, so hopefully this will be taken on board. 

My biggest gripe with these meetings was the lack of publicity  ::) - I found out when I was sending a grumpy e-mail about pot holes in our area and decided to have a look at the Council web-site to see what was happening in my area.  As I pointed out, now that I am more stable I don't have to go into the Waiting Room so wouldn't be browsing the notice boards  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »

I found the self referral to the IAPT service was easy and helpful although it clearly can only deal with entry level issues.

I was given 6 weeks of CBT which was helpful on a day to day basis but it also identified deeper issues that it cannot deal with.  I was referred for psychodynamic counselling which is not free but is negotiable.

I did not find it inadequate at all but it was helpful for me at the time  :)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »

Having had therapy in the past from clinical psychotherapist plus CBT from highly qualified people and having some basic qualifications myself when I used our service the professional I saw for cbt knew much less about it than I did which was rather amusing at the time.  After  3 sessions this poor lady told me that I was much more qualified in this than she was.

I agree for absolutely basic mental health problems then the cbt offered will help some people but doubtful someone suicidal.

What annoys me is that the health authority can publicise their wonderful access to mental health services and everyone who hasn't used them thinks its fantastic.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »

Have a look at your local Council web-site and see if there are any adverts from your local Mental Health Team? that's how I found out!!! didn't see anything  about it in our GP Surgery.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »

This is being discussed in all Council groups - have a look at your local Council web-site or ask at your GP Surgery?  The more of that join in and make our needs known, the more likely our problems - as well as depression with relation to menopause - will be out there!