Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone just using testosterone?  (Read 2932 times)

Chi chi

Anyone just using testosterone?
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »

I'm thinking of stopping my HRT as I'm so fed up with the progesterone part of it all  :-\

I originally started nearly 2 years ago after suffering with low moods/depression and anxiety as well as a load of other symptoms. It was discovered after having to go private that my estrogen was low and my testosterone was almost non existent. Since starting the HRT (oestrogel 4 pumps, tube of testim per week ) I haven't got on with utrogestan or provera, it plummets my mood so I've not been taking as often as I should. I still have all the same symptoms and the only thing that's improved is my libido.
I'm due to try the Mirena early next month although deep down I'm dreading it as I'm sure I'm not going to get on with that either  :-\

I'm wondering if I stopped the oestrogel could I carry on with just the testim?

Hurdity

Re: Anyone just using testosterone?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »

I think it is always recommended only to take testosterone if you are taking oestrogen as well. Some T is converted to O so I have read, so if not taking O then conceivably the uterus lining could thicken due to the O - if women are taking O then they alre also taking P to protect the womb. This was also expressed in the product info for the withdrawn T patches - Intrinsa - that it was only recommended for women who were also taking oestrogen.

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »

Chi chi, I was going to reply on your other thread regarding the scan but I will reply here instead.

First of all, sorry that things have gone the way they have for you but I can understand only too well.  I am also severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progestin and high doses of Utrogestan but not my own progesterone.

I think you need to have a rethink but it would be a pity to give up on HRT completely.  You obviously badly need the oestrogen but like many of us, hate the progesterone used in HRT.  How much Utrogestan did you take before you ran into problems with it (how many days?) and were you taking it orally or vaginally?  I ask this because I use very little and string it out over 5 weeks now and it has really been a game changer for me.  Have you thoroughly explored every avenue of Utrogestan and have you completely satisfied yourself that you cannot take it at all?

Moving on to the Mirena coil.  This might work for you and if you definitely cannot tolerate any amount of Utrogestan, it has to be worth a try before giving up on HRT completely.  Chances are, you will be fine with it but only time will tell.  Most of it stays in the womb but I would be misleading you if I didn't tell you that some of it gets into your system. 

I don't know about taking Testim on it's own but did read something about a women who does it a while back in the DM.  If you are still producing some of your own hormones it might work for a while but I'm not sure what the implications would be once you are post menopause. 

The only other alternative is a complete hysterectomy (including ovaries) and then replacing the necessary hormones.  This is a big step and one which I am still considering for myself. 

Pollie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »

My understanding is that testosterone is ineffective unless the receptors have first been primed with oestrogen. I don't believe it is ever prescribed on its own. Furthermore the risk of male type side effects would be more likely because of the imbalance between oestrogen and testosterone.

The interaction and feedback of all these hormones is so very complex !

Mirena suits many ladies perfectly - remember you only ever hear about the bad stories.......

Pollie

Chi chi

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »

Thank you,

Mary G, I've tried utro both orally and vaginally, things are not as bad when used vaginally but still very unpleasant  :-\ I only take it for 5 days. I'm interested to know how you spread yours over 5 weeks.
I had the Mirena a few years ago when I had to come off the combined pill (age and smoking) and I was ok emotionally just had a lot of spotting. I'm still really scared though in case now it doesn't agree with me, it's not something I can just stop  ???
I was really hoping to try without the oestrogel and no prog and to just carry on with the testim  :-\
Why does this all have to be so hard  :-\

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »

I decided to spread it out to a 5 week cycle as opposed to a 4 week cycle and it's working very well.  4 weeks was coming around too soon for me!