Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thyroid flushes or low estrogen??  (Read 1913 times)

matildamouse

Thyroid flushes or low estrogen??
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:15 AM »

I have been doing some research regards menopause and hormones etc. Currently have a return of my hot flushes ( I am post menopausal and on HRT) and came across a lot of posts describing hot flushes which can be caused by an under-active thyroid as well. Apparently it feels a bit different where you suddenly feel hot and there is less sweating as oppose to the menopausal hot flush. And I think this is what I am experiencing atm....

Anybody with thyroid issues who can identify or want to comment please?

countrybumpkin

Re: Thyroid flushes or low estrogen??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »

I trained as an advisor for a thyroid charity and never came across this one - you live and learn!
I am post meno not on hrt and have had underactive thyroid for over 30 years.  I can see an overactive thyroid could give you hot flushes because of the increase in metabolism etc, would be interested to know the mechanism for flushes with under active if you would be so kind.
My hot flushes have all seemed to be totally meno as they were worse leading up to my periods stopping and 4 years on have stayed stable and much less up to now ( fingers crossed). I find mine almost go away in winter temperatures but as soon as spring arrives they increase and a heatwave makes them worse.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »

Thanks Countryb, it makes sense re the hyperthyroid flushes. Based on what I read it is just attributed to a "dodgy thermostat" and hormonal imbalances. And many people commented it got much worse when they went into menopause.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »

In that case yes I have always had a bit of a dodgy thermostat that just got a whole lot worse in peri meno and meno :) 

Don't we just love our hormones!

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:52 PM »

I found this really interesting as I too am in hrt and in the last week or so I've found myself to be getting what I would describe as hot flushes. I had a slight underactive thyroid a year or so ago (which corrected itself somehow) and I had exactly the same thought as you matildamouse- is it underactive thyroid?
That said I have always had a dodgy temperature control and with spring weather his could be the reason.
I have a thyroid test next week so maybe I'll find out.