Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: A quick question about Oestrogel  (Read 3709 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
A quick question about Oestrogel
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »

Hello - just a quick question please? About 2 years ago I was on Femoston 1/10 and found this effective.  Now I've started with the gel and am doing 1 pump, is that 0.75 mg as opposed to 1 mg in the Femoston?

I've read my label on the bottle and it states I should be on 2 mgs for 1 month, moving up to 3 mg thereafter!

As I'm 44 and peri and periods are here, there and everywhere, I know I'll get fluctuations but wanted to make sure that I start off with the best dose.

I have to say that my head feels much clearer already, have quite a bit of tummy ache and feel a bit groggy/tired.

Will also be seeing a gyny on Monday who will be checking my lining.....if there is any and the fibroid that I have.

Still need to obtain my progesterone part as my nurse wouldn't prescribe Utrogestan as she didn't know enough about it.

ruthae

Re: A quick question about Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »

Hello

Welcome to the Forum -  :foryou:

I'm new too and in the peri, just started taking the Oestrogel today (to combat craziness etc).   I was most recently on Femoston 2mg but then reduce it to 1mg but am progestron intolerant so have switched.  I'm going to start taking 2 pumps (2.5 mg of gel giving 1.5mg active estrogen) but increase it to 3 (2.25mg of estrogen) when I am taking the progestrone.  I know other newbies have found 2 pumps too much, but I think that is the usual recommended dose to start with.

There is lots of very helpful people on here, so I'm sure they will come along and make some comments shortly.

Take care

Rx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »

Its best to start off on one pump for couple of weeks see how you go re symptoms,absorption etc then increase if necessary. The beauty of estrogel is you can do this easily.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 10:42:38 PM »

Hi

I think today is the first day I've noticed a decrease in the flushes. Also have felt so much calmer this week too. I think I'll give it a full month on 1 pump and see how it goes.

Also I'm hoping the gyny may offer some advice one I've had my scan next week. Just hoping things continue as they have this week as the Oestrogel has made me feel so much more positive.

Good luck Ruthae with your new regime too, let me know how you are finding things

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »

See how you get on with 1 pump but as you are only 44 and your oestrogen levels will continue to decline, you will probably have to up your dose at some point.  Most women are on 2 or 3 pumps of gel everyday.  I absorb it very well (too well in fact) so I have reduced my dose to 2 pumps and it works very well. 

Have you managed to obtain your progesterone yet?  You might want to ask for Utrogestan which is a bio identical progesterone - it is most effective when used vaginally and also has fewer side effects.

Good luck at your appointment.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »

Oh right - didn't realise that you needed 2 pumps for your bones, can't spell the other word!

One thing I have noticed, before the gel, I was getting flushes throughout the day and very intense. I'm still going the morning ones although not as intense so if I do increase the dose, I think I'll split them to evening and morning.

I wanted normal and today I have it....woke up with a stinking cold, which haven't had for about a year. But for once, I haven't overthought it and worried it was something serious. Just told myself I'd feel better by the weekend.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »

The 2 pumps dose of osteoporosis protection is set at this for post-menopausal women who do not have any oestrogen of their own - as far as I understand. Someone put me right on this if wrong as I haven't looked it up recently. Not sure whether this applies if you are in peri re the bone protection side of things? However would be a good idea if you have history of osteo in your family to start with the licensed dose from the beginning.

Hurdity x