Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eat yourself Calm?  (Read 6600 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Eat yourself Calm?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 07:39:39 PM »

NOT suitable for diabetics Hurdity - Dextrose tablets have kept me alive at times when I've been unable to eat and I mean NOT eat - the worst was for 3 months when hardly anything passed my lips  :'(

Dextrose are carried by most walkers/cyclists as an aid or for emergency use.  I remember the sudden dip, sudden feeling of sickness followed by the shakes - I usually start off walking really fast so I'm my own Worst Enemy  :kick:.  When my blood sugar is low the tablets fizz in my mouth.  The other thing for a steady energy flow is fruit cake.  When the body is so hungry it uses up all the sustenance given.  I can't however, abide Kendal Mint Cake - which I believe, along with Mars Bars, went up Everest in 1953  ;)

I never swallow supplements because we have a good mainly home-cooked diet.  If one is eating a healthy diet the body doesn't require supplements. 

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »

Fresh food is as fresh as it is possible to get at this time of year.  Air miles have been part of feeding people in the UK, think NZ lamb  ::).  Now foods are flown in from Kenya which gives people work.  I was surprised to see the strawberries from Mexico on behalf of a Company in California.  I don't like strawberries (having been raised in prime UK growing country) but these are quite tasty with a bit of sugar added  ;).  Haven't yet reached for the Commiommy yet ……..  we were in a large Catering Warehouse so food stuffs turn round really fast. 

Himself was pulling parsnips until a few weeks ago.  Under glass/plastic the UK is growing lettuces (yuk) and could be growing tomatoes (again yuk, tasteless what ever time of year) if heat was used (not green).  Radishes, are coming in fresh from the Fens so must be grown under glass/plastic? but get woody within a few days.  Leeks, onions, celery are harvested now. This is of course where storing of stuff comes in: bottling, canning, freezing …… I loves a red beet sandwich I does  8)

I haven't felt guilty in recent years about anything: my guilt stems from 1999-2004  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »

I find tomatoes watery  :-X …… but growing conditions in Kenya are good, usually it's UK Companies that have instigated growing methods for the Africans to follow.  Don't get me started on lack of crop rotation in the UK  :bang: :bang: :bang: …… how much land is now un-suitable for crop growing here  :-\ due to large machinery compression good quality soil but now those fields hold water which should be draining into the dykes  :sigh: - sorry ………

We have 1 asparagus spear since November.  Too young to cut though  :(::).  I LOVE peas straight from the pod  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »

Oh  :o sacriliage (sp)  ;D - the way to eat asparagus is to steam it, drain, pour melted butter on top, add black pepper and enjoy.  Messy though  :P

Same with samphire - as above.  Lobster - straight from the shell, no phaffing  ;)

I need 'calm' this morning  :-\

How's the lambing in this weather ?  :-\

Sarai

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »

I agree with hurdity, glucose tablets should be a last resort if you are going to pass out.
Yes they keep you going but need to be followed quickly by a good protein food as they simply create yet another sugar spike then dip, I know I have that tee shirt sadly.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

Actually CLKD, sometimes it does.
At this time of year our fresh food is not actually fresh.
It's been stored for months.
Think of our seasons.
The harvest is long past. Nothing is growing in our fields right now.
The stuff brought in from abroad had been on the road for a long while before it reaches our shelves.
So, we don't necessarily get what we think we are getting no matter how good we think our diet is.
I don't actually feel guilty at all.
I do the best I can both for my family and for myself.

I don't think you can rely on fruit and veg that have come half way round the world to contain all the nutrients we need.  A lot of it has little taste and I do wonder what sort of conditions they've been grown in such as the soil.  You can't beat homegrown strawberries, green beans and asparagus for flavour and freshness.

S x

Tiggergirl and Sparky - If you know of any evidence that our diet cannot contain the nutrients we need to keep us healthy throughout the year because of the inferior quality of the food available to buy, so that we have to take supplements (apart form Vit D and sunlight) - I would be very interested to see it. Also if you eat veg in season as locally grown as possible then it won't have travelled far. As an example just look at the brassicas we have grown in UK - and the immense nutritional benefits of all the different types!

Sparky - I definitely agree that you can't beat homegrown fruit and veggies though for flavour :)

Hurdity x :)

blossom60

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

There is actually lots of info out there about the loss of nutrients in modern food.

Here is just two I came across:-

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/may/15/foodanddrink.shopping3

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

The second one in particular is from a recognised and respected science publication.

I hope that helps :)

coldethyl

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »

Sooby that reminded me just how much we supplemented our dairy herd as grassland so mineral depleted - their cake was mineralised and had added vitamins and we also added a specially formulated mineral vitamin mix to their water- still we had some problems with copper deficiency and so on- guess what I am saying is if they were depleted, then their milk would also be lacking and their meat so it is easy to see how getting enough from dietary sources alone doesn't always work

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »

How old were those reports - haven't waded through 'cos I usually find the info out of date  ::).  Dr Jones (and others over the years) has in the past been paid for advertising supplements  ;)

I love broccoli - lightly steamed so it's still firm then eaten with lots of melted butter and black pepper.   Or raw.  Not keen on carrots, love my spuds in any way; can't eat onions as they make me very very ill  ::).  Sweet corn and me = messy  ;D

Anyone who really wants to know the truth behind various 'reports' can contact Bob (?) Goldacre who does lots of research into anything he doesn't believe the results of ………

Me, I can enjoy foodstuffs for a while then I go totally 'off' them, i.e.mushrooms  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »

:thankyou:

Many frozen foods have a good nutrient base because they are treated as fast as possible - I love frozen peas …… gently boiled for a few moments then slathered in butter ;-)

blossom60

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »

Steam veg if you can, don't boil.

Kate50

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:50 AM »

Sounds like this has turned into more of a heated argument than a collection of idea's that people can choose from!
I have never needed to lose weight but have had to look at changing my diet due to health reasons and I have taken a bit from each. Health advice some I've stuck with and some not. These are mine vit B50 taken for over 20 yrs as recommended by WNAS and a mag/calcium supplement.  Psyllium husk for the bowel to keep things going and mop up bad cholesterol done this for over 10 yrs. Veg juice daily for over 10 yrs. Dont Drink or smoke and try and keep sugar and bread to a minimum.  Oh and laughter and good therapy and sex if I could manage it lol!
Pages: 1 [2]