Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone intolerance??  (Read 2091 times)

Shelby

Progesterone intolerance??
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »

Hello, after a spell of six months on Femosten, which started off great ( taken for peri symptoms and very irregular bleeding) improved mood, improved and regular bleeds....
Then, sudden crash, terrible moodiness on the progesterone part ..and the irregular bleeding started again..had all the scans etc can't find anything
So, was started on Prempac C I am coming to the end of pack one...oestrogen only pills felt okay, has a three day bleed ( bliss and unheard of!) in week one. I am due to finish the combined ones on Saturday. But, OMG my mood is terrible...ranging from wanting to die to run away can't cope with anything do t want to see or speak to anyone, the slightest thing is making me oh so angry..I am hating myself...
Help.... Is it the meds? I am normally a chilled laid back happy tolerant person. I am hating what I am at the moment

Clovie

Re: Progesterone intolerance??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

I would put decent money on it being your meds. Your post is describing me when I am exposed to any type of progesterone.
I'm progesterone intolerant.

I had to change to utrogestan , micronized progesterone for the progesterone element of my HRT. It's not great, but it's heaps better than the synthetics I tried earlier. Maybe look into that? read up about it and speak to your doctor about it?
I also react to my own progesterone badly.
I didn't know at the time but apparently if you had PND and PMS (this is me!) this is reacting to progesterone, and I'd be more likely to suffer at perimenopause and if I took HRT. 

I know it won't help much right now but you WILL feel better when the prog leaves your system. I know, I've been there, done that, and have that (well worn)  Tshirt. x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »

Shelby, my advice would also be to try the Utrogestan.  It is not fantastic by any means but it is the lesser of two evils as long as you don't take too much of it and you use it vaginally.  I would also take this opportunity to ditch the oral HRT and start using Oestrogel.  The HRT you are taking now is not bio identical and the oestrogen gel is far more effective and flexible because you can easily adjust the dose.  I have found all forms of oral HRT to be very ineffectual but you are probably getting on with Prempak C because you are peri and still producing your own hormones.  Once you stop producing them, I don't think this low dose will be very effective and you will need to up the dose.  Therefore, the gel will be perfect for you.

Synthetic progesterone is evil stuff and over prescribed in all sequential HRT preparations.  It is nothing like the progesterone we produce ourselves and the side effects seem never ending and it's high time someone came up with something better. 

I was never intolerant to my own progesterone during my reproductive years.  I never had period problems or PMS and although I did not get on well with the BCP or the Mirena coil, I could just about fight synthetic progesterone off while I was producing my own hormones.  I now know my own hormones were the dominant force when I was younger but as soon as they dipped, the synthetic stuff sparked off my silent migraines. 

nothappybun

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »

Hello, after a spell of six months on Femosten, which started off great ( taken for peri symptoms and very irregular bleeding) improved mood, improved and regular bleeds....
Then, sudden crash, terrible moodiness on the progesterone part ..and the irregular bleeding started again..had all the scans etc can't find anything
So, was started on Prempac C I am coming to the end of pack one...oestrogen only pills felt okay, has a three day bleed ( bliss and unheard of!) in week one. I am due to finish the combined ones on Saturday. But, OMG my mood is terrible...ranging from wanting to die to run away can't cope with anything do t want to see or speak to anyone, the slightest thing is making me oh so angry..I am hating myself...
Help.... Is it the meds? I am normally a chilled laid back happy tolerant person. I am hating what I am at the moment
Sorry to bring back this post, I'm trying to read about progesterone intolerance and what you describe has happened to me while taking Utrogestan 10 days... how did this resolve in your case?
Thanks