Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What a difference a day makes? Take two.  (Read 21714 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: What a difference a day makes? Take two.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »

Hi Taz

I put a patch back on, after some thought, because wearing a patch has never caused me problems in the past. Infact iti usually been the opposite.

And, I had the sneaking feeling that this sudden, intense panic might be connected to taking some Amitriptyline at the wrong time (see my above post).

Plus, my GP is a total disbeliver in HRT working for peri anxiety or depression. He's made it very clear that I should just be on ADs for a few years.

jedigirl

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »

Bless you, it's such a trial isn't it?
I know for me i didn't stabilise until i'd been on Citalopram a while. Your symptoms sound as if you need an AD more than a different hrt but others will disagree.
Either way good luck xxx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »

Thank you Jedi.

I think I possibly need both in the short to medium term? An AD for maybe 6 months whilst the HRT regime Annie Evans recommends has chance to properly bed in?

Then I can assess. I think it was SallyG who had very similar anxiety/mood swings to me and Annie Evans started her on HRT + Citalopram, and she said Citalopram 'blended' very well with HRT.

I seem to remember her reporting back that she felt cured on that combination, and I haven't seen her around for a long time so assume she is sorted?

jedigirl

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 03:50:40 PM »

I love my Citalopram though did find i needed to up from 10-20mg during a stressful period and have stayed on it for now, as home life is very stressful and i need it. I think I am feeling as well as i could.
jg x

vintagefiend

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »

Hi again GRL- just reading through your experiences, we sound very similar!
Like you, I've decided to find an antidep that works well enough to allow me to try hrt/birth control (again)...and i will prob have a reasonable length of time just on AD to give my body and brain a well-earned break! obvs if i feel fine on just AD i won't muck about with hormones but i suspect it won't fully alleviate anxiety/depression.
best of luck x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »

How long have you been on it Jedi? Did it take long to kick in?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »

Hi vintage. Yes I recognise everything you write about. I read somewhere that if you have been suffering with anxiety and mood swings for a long time, then you need a low dose AD to restore your brain chemistry?

It just frustrates me that I feel perfectly well for up to 2 weeks per month, but then it all descends into Hell.

I'm wondering if I'm also suddenly feeling so wretched because I stopped the oral oestrogen 2 days ago and swapped to a patch, and during this transfer my oestrogen levels have really dropped?

I don't know much about absorption from patches Vs oral, or whether the patch would immediately compensate for oral absorption?

And I can feel another sharp headache coming on! That'll be the third one in 4 days!

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »

Hi Taz

I put a patch back on, after some thought, because wearing a patch has never caused me problems in the past. Infact iti usually been the opposite.

And, I had the sneaking feeling that this sudden, intense panic might be connected to taking some Amitriptyline at the wrong time (see my above post).

Plus, my GP is a total disbeliver in HRT working for peri anxiety or depression. He's made it very clear that I should just be on ADs for a few years.

Thanks that makes it clearer. I found that HRT makes my anxiety and depression worse - I can cope with it but my mood is definitely lighter when off HRT. I always suffered from PMS but thought that everyone did so never sought help. The only good thing about becoming menopausal at around 51 was the fact that I no longer had the mood swings. Of course then the meno symptoms kicked in at around 53 and I started HRT and the PMS returned. I did find it comforting somehow that for all of those years when I had blamed my hormones I was actually right! I hadn't imagined it - it was all down to the fluctuations. I hope you find something that works for you soon. You will get there.

Taz x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 05:33:40 PM »

Thanks Taz.

I honestly don't know whether the HRT helps or hinders me, to be honest?

It everything I have ever read says it will improve the anxiety and mood swings, so.

jedigirl

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »

GRL,
I felt quite dreamy and carefree almost straight away then has a few days of awful headaches , some neck ache then it settled. Benefits seemed to improve over time and most days i am quite normal. I think I'm pushing at the boundaries of it this week but got lots to contend with so god knows how i'd be otherwise!

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »

Thanks Taz.

I honestly don't know whether the HRT helps or hinders me, to be honest?

It everything I have ever read says it will improve the anxiety and mood swings, so.

I don't know if this has already been posted but it does explain that not all women react favourably to oestrogen http://psycheducation.org/hormones-and-mood-introduction/basic-information-about-estrogen-in-psychiatry/

Taz x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »

Thanks jedi. I'm glad it's working for you. It's definitely the AD I would probably ask for.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »

Thanks for that Taz. Very interesting paper. I'm a bit worried though, as it says women should aim for oestrogen levels between 50 - 100. Well mine was just over 300 when I had my bloods done before Xmas. And that was while wearing a 50mg patch!

Oh dear!

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »

Which may account for your symptoms? Anxiety if your level is too high has been quite well documented I think?

Taz x

Poppyflower

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »

I just wanted to comment on that study....first of all it is by an American psychiatrist. In America the usual measurement for estrogen is pg/ml and not pmol/l as is the usual in Canada and I believe Europe. when you convert the 50-100 it is actually approximately 185-367. So GRL your levels seem about on par with what he is reporting also it has taken you to have a patch to get it even that high (in my opinion we do not really feel well until an even higher level, due to our levels being naturally higher for our younger age). However in that study it also seems they are speaking of birth control pills and premarin as the estrogens used to raise estrogen levels-both synthetic. I know from experience as do you, that those synthetic progesterones in BCP definitely affects my anxiety, and so even though levels of estrogen are higher.....the progesterone in those pills do not account for us to feel better. Just wanted to assure you that I think you are on the right track.....don't doubt yourself....stick with what is making you feel best.....but stick with it for a while before switching unless you are feeling absolutely horrible. I have now been on estrogen only patch for 6 months and only now am starting to introduce prometrium. it has taken this long for me to start feeling better......it is a long road, but you can do it and good luck with your appointment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6