Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Do you dress up?  (Read 16313 times)

buggz_71

Re: Do you dress up?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »

This is a great thread  :)
When I got out to work I always wear makeup a concealer foundation bronzer blush and eyeshadow and mascara but will just moisturise if I am home doing chores. You can tell I like makeup and it hides my horrid skin
For work I am practical wear trousers and nice tops and cardigans if cold very seldom a skirt or dress. At home I wear tracksuit bottoms and tops for housework and chores indoors and in the garden and shorts and tees in summer. Generally wear jeans and tops jumpers for just going out shopping or meeting up with friends. If going somewhere posh I make a real effort like nice dresses, heels and go all out. And I have lots of running gear too for my training.
I just love clothes shoes and makeup!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »

Great thread!  Dad would never allow his daughters to wear trousers or jeans ………. I remember him refusing to drive from the house until I put on a dress, Mum had bought me 'cords' and we thought he wouldn't think of them as jeans.  I knew I had to get changed or we would still be sitting there! (and he's been dead since 2006  ;D )

Once married I wore 'work clothes' i.e. skirts, tights (hate them) etc.; occasionally if I was office bound I would wear neat trousers, never jeans.  In the evenings it would depend on where we were going.  Eventually I wore jeans more often and now it's every day.

I can get myself up in the morning and crawl into the same clothes I wore yesterday: jeans, double layer of thermal tops, a neat jumper on top.  Thick socks, slippers ……… I have 2 pairs of linen trousers to wear when I need to posh up  :-\ .   I do try to put my jewellery with the clothes that they suit, I have small bags to hang onto the appropriate hangers: however, once I've undressed it's unlikely that the jewellery gets re-hung  :-\.

For Dad's funeral I wore a skirt, pull up tights - which started to fall down as I was walking out of Church  :o - long boots and a jacket.  Never again.  It's trousers every time.  Haven't worn make-up for over 20 years.  Can't be bothered to take it off then my eyes get itchy.

Perish the thought of mascara or lippy these days.

littleminnie

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 04:43:41 PM »

I love clothes and make up.
Smart for work, full face of make-up, always wear nail polish.
Smart casual when I go out, with make up.
Staying in, it's joggers, tshirt and hoody. No make-up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:45:17 PM by littleminnie »

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »

I am getting a picture of people as I read these replies  :)

I've never been a girly girl.  I was always dressed in boys clothes when I was little and frills and furbelows don't do it for me. I like trousers because I detest tights, however having found light leggings and tunic tops I am a convert  :)

I dressed up 'right posh' for daughter's wedding but didn't feel comfortable all day however as I was the mother of the bride I didn't want to let her down.  Couldn't wait for the evening though, to get it all off and dress down in, you've guessed it, light leggings and a pretty tunic top with flat Toms  :)

Sooby

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

I was musing over this topic this week so have loved reading about our differing views of our outward appearance and how much it links to our sense of self.

I am happy in just about anything as long as it flatters me so skirts above the knee, bootleg jeans or trouser suits and dresses with thick tights for work. Like many of you if my dark bobbed hair looks glossy and shiny I feel I can face the world. though make is rarely any more than a stroke of mascara and lip stain.

I find winter hard as I have livestock to care for as well as working part time in an office so its a real challenge to stay clean and tidy with great hair after providing food, water. carrots and hay to pigs and sheep twice a day. I do colour coordinate my two tone  jodhpurs and colourful snuggly fleeces though and have recently discovered intelligent leggings which make me feel tidy and toned when loafing about.

The thing I miss most these days is not having the spare cash for age defying facials and wrinkle removing serums.   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »

Sooby - they don't work  ;)  ::)

I spend a LOT of time in our garden, when ever it's warm enough to be out there: cuppa by the pond, pottering with the weeds etc.; if I put on 'best' jeans then I find after half an hour the knees are muddy.  Even though I have pads to kneel upon.  Or I pull out weeds from the ponds = splashes all over  ::).  Lugging bags of compost around = mud splashes. 

I HATE anything around my waist so tights/skirts etc. are too uncomfortable.  Then I'm thinking about what I'm wearing and how I look ……… whereas knickers, jeans are more comfortable for me.  I have kept cats/dogs/chickens for years so need to have jeans that will wash quickly and easily. 

littleminnie

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 05:19:14 PM »

How do you know they don't work CLKD if you haven't used them for 20 years.
I only look 25  ::)

holidaylover

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

Sooby, I'm really thick, but I've never heard of intelligent leggings!!?? Enlighten me?  I'm imagining that they fold themselves neatly then put themselves away back into the wardrobe after
use.   
 :o x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »

:lol:

" age defying facials and wrinkle removing serums …. "  I last used a face mask in the 1970s.  Worked! haven't had a wrinkle since  ;).  I use hot water and clean flannel on my face every morning, soap in the evening when in the bath …….. never have spots (except late last year and that was bad hygiene  :-[ ) nor is my skin dry.  I use sun screen [although not last year, wasn't in the sun long enough  ::) ].  My Grandma had soft skin until she died aged 83.

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 07:13:17 PM »

I enjoy clothes. I like to wear smart casual clothes, mainly jeans. I've acquired a few leggings for comfort since having a hysterectomy as my tight jeans are too tight on the neather regions. I wear them with tunics usually. I have a couple of posh frocks which rarely get an airing, as we don't attend posh events. I like to wear makeup, but can't at the moment as I am having to put on ab gel for rosecea and makeup aggravates the blemishes anyway,  >:( just when I need it to cover up. Friends comment I look very pale and tired, when I'm fine. Makeup covers up a lot and makes me look healthy. Just as well I'm not a teenager and so worried about how I look!

ariadne

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »

I never really knew how to put outfits together and would have a wardrobe full of clothes but nothing to wear!  Since my "capsule wardrobe" project though and after googling same, I have a much better idea of how it works. I  now have less clothes but more outfits if that makes sense 😁

I don't feel comfortable in skirts or dresses and like you CLKD, I can't bear anything tight round my middle. I like to wear make up every day as I look like I'm at death's door if I don't.

Ariadne xx

Dulciana

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »

Friends comment I look very pale and tired, when I'm fine.

What sort of colours do you wear, Ju Ju?   If you get your colours absolutely right, they bring a glow to the face, with or without makeup.   Also, our best colours lighten as we get older.    :)

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 10:54:01 PM »

Do I dress up?  Of course.  If I am going out anywhere, I always change...into jeans that don't have mud & compost stains on them and a jumper that isn't covered with dog hair.  ;D

Sorry girls, but that's as smart as I get.  Never worn makeup in my life and it nearly makes front page on the local papers if I wear a skirt.  As for heels, if it's not completely flat, it's not in my house.  Live in furry boots in winter and flip flops in summer, wellies all year round.  After several years living in wellies & safety boots for work, my feet have spread so much they won't fit into even wide-fitting shoes, hence having to go straight from boots to flip-flops.

So, jeans, thick woolly socks, furry-lined boots (is there any way of encouraging hot flushes to go to the feet?  Mine are always freezing!), men's plain crew-neck t-shirt (ladies ones are either too short, too fitted or too low-necked), baggy jumper.  If I'm feeling really lazy then I wear tracksuit trousers instead of jeans.  Can't say I get many compliments on my appearance, but if folk don't like the way I look, they can close their eyes or look the other way!

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 10:59:09 PM »

I need bold colours, always have. When choosing outfit for sons wedding, everywhere I tried on outfits all agreed with me. I love the muted tones, but they drain my face. I'm fair skinned & blonde/grey haired.

Comfort is the way to go these days though. Ball I was at the other night, a young 20 something girl was wearing a beautiful gown. However, it was so tight she struggled to sit down & she couldn't eat much either. That would be my idea of hell!

Dorothy

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:09 PM »

Sooby, totally off topic but what breeds of pigs & sheep do you have?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5