Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Renting a motor home?  (Read 6391 times)

jedigirl

Renting a motor home?
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »

Has  anyone got experience of renting a motor home ?We are thinking of it for a road trip to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and are wondering the upsides and downsides to  A few days road trip in a motor home 😊

littleminnie

Re: Renting a motor home?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »

Never done it but have looked into it. You can rent them from caravan/motor home dealerships. Renting one in Canada is on our bucket list.

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »

Thank you! Really fancy taking the kids up to Glencoe and beyond, our early dating holiday places before the kids were around! X

Clovie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »

I'd love to do this too, Jedigirl!
We had our own touring caravan, got rid of it a few years ago when kids (now all teens) lost interest.
I know my hubby would really love to take a motorhome out for a trip, just us.
Glencoe - ahh its beautiful up there! And think how cosy it would be if it DID rain, snuggled up in a lovely warm motorhome, dim lighting, glass of wine....... lovely. x

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »

Absolutely Clovie, though i had visions of beautiful sunsets and northern lights with hot mugs of tea and barbecues rather than rain  ;D

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »

;D  ;D, yes of course!  Just practicing my "looking on the Brightside",  even if it DID rain it would still be lovely there!!!  :great:
Let us know if you decide to do it!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »

We already have a thread on here somewhere - we looked into doing so a few years ago but the T&Cs were prohibitive: i.e. we were unable to collect the vehicle until mid-afternoon of the day we wanted to go away; it had to be returned by 11.00 a.m. on the final day with a full tank of fuel.  Fully valeted.  So that meant we lost at least 2 days from the week collecting and returning, had we gone abroad we would have lost a couple of days travelling back home.

We bought a camper instead  ;D: with a Portapotty for night-time use.  The biggest downside for me is traipsing back and for to the facilities.  Especially in the rain and at night B4 going to bed. 

Do look into it carefully B4 deciding to rent.  We found good B&Bs for years at reasonable rates, warm, en-suite ;-).  We went to Dornie for our 30th anniversary, stayed at a bungalow (Kilimanjaro) down a lane, down another lane, with grass up the middle  ::).  We had the best sunniest stay in Scotland - the following week the main road to Portree washed away  :o

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

Also, it isn't always easy to get onto a camp site during the school holidays .  We are Members of both Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club as well as using private sites - whilst facilities are good on Registered Clubs, some private sites are a bit bucket and chuck it  ;)

Where do you want to stay?  If you hire a camper or motor home (there's a HUGE difference) remember that some car parks have height restrictions.  Some towns don't allow over-nighting.  Also, it's not like getting into the car and driving on the spur of the moment, everything has to be put away, water and gas switched off B4 travelling  ::) - because you take your 'home for the week' with you  ;).  If stuff isn't anchored it sounds like 1 is driving a cutlery drawer  ;D.  Also if it isn't anchored and the drive has to break, stuff flies forwards  >:( ……….

Any water has to be carried or the vehicle has to be driven to the tap, so if you do hire a camper, do take a length of hosing with you - we have found that not all hoses reach ours!!!!  1 has to carry washing kit to the shower area and in rainy weather it's hard drying towels ……… when we are away I use the laundry which can take ages as well as costing extra on the top of the trip.  Same with washing crockery ……..

Make sure that the heating is suitable.  Ours runs off the diesal engine ;-).  Do you have to take your own bedding/sleeping bags or is that an optional extra …….. do read the 'small print' in case of hidden extras!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »

Did you think about this any further?

jedigirl

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 06:36:40 AM »

Hi CLKD,
Thank you for all your suggestions/advice. We are still looking into it but DD and Mums health are making us wonder if it's the best time to do it. Will let you know if we get any further with it xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »

A good Hotel is probably a better idea at this time?  A suitcase each, a destination with plenty to do and no wandering across the camp site in the early hours  ;)  :D