Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable? Please be honest.  (Read 18390 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Am I being unreasonable? Please be honest.
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »

I would think it's his listening face.  I had that with my GP at times.  By allowing you to 'let go' a GP can get an over-all view of how a patient is ……… I agree that some kind of 'there there' might have helped but you did it, you got through the appt. - give yourself a pat on the back! 

You have nothing to lose by trying the dosage prescribed.  Better to have a low dose and work up rather than over-whelming, intolerable side-effects. 

Breathhhh  ;).  Stop looking for problems that probably aren't there.  You went for an appt. which causes you stress, you stayed, put your point across …….. for example, the GP could have been dealing with a beravement (sp) so had booked time off until the funeral date was fixed  :-\.  GPs do not have to justify ………..

Make keeping a mood/food diary as well as noting how you feel on the low dosage prescribed your starting point. 

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »

I think I started on 25mg then upped to 50mg (which felt too much, was too chilled out to the point of not caring).

Settled on 40mg and was happy on it.

Was also on 40mg for 7 months in 2014. It really helped the anxiety, and slept like a log too. Still got my symptoms popping back in though which is why I decided to try HRT. But to be honest the HRT I have tried so far has been no more effective than Amitriptyline.

It's good that you can experiment with the oestrogel though. But what about the progesterone?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »

I don't think the receptionist would have deliberately lied to your DH, why would she? I expect it was either a genuine mistake, or the GP has changed her annual leave firvsime reason.

There won't be a conspiracy to stop you seeing a certain GP.

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:52 PM »

Building up a relationship with a GP can be difficult when we feel vulnerable.  Keeping a list to take is important.  Be careful though, GPs can ask patients not to attend their Surgery if they continue to not take advice.  Better to take the little steps as advised, keeping notes to discuss at your next appt. ; because you are vulnerable and it was difficult to go to the appt., you will feel really sensitive.  Why your DH told you any of the discussion  :-\  ???  ……….. getting the appt. was surely the issue here, one that you could attend  :-\ : which you did. 

Breattthhhh ……… let the medication do the work it's designed for  ;)

Clovie

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »

Thank you. I don't think for a minute there's any conspiracy to stop me seeing that GP, they could have just said she has no apt for next few weeks though.  :(

Anyhow hubby has phoned surgery for me and expressed his own feelings about last nights appointment, that the GP wasn't this sympathetic doctor he was supposed to be, and has booked an apt for me to see the lady GP for 3 weeks time (a long time to wait! )
He's also asked for the dose of 25mg to be looked at by another GP to see if it needs to be higher to start off. On the paperwork in the box it says the dosage is 50-75mg rising if NEEDED to 150mg.

I just don't want to wait 3 weeks taking the equivalent of a smartie tablet (a placebo) after I'd plucked up the courage to lay how I feel on the table. I want to at least start feeling better.

It is no wonder though, that I have mistrust issues around asking for medical help when things like this happen. I just wanted a kind doctor to build up some kind of a relationship with.

However I do realise me looking at things this way, like today getting all stressed about yesterday, is the mood swings talking.

I just want to feel more on an even keel.

thanks again.

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »

Let us know if the Surgery suggest that you stay on the prescribed dose or whether you should take a higher amount? 

Clovie

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »

I think I started on 25mg then upped to 50mg (which felt too much, was too chilled out to the point of not caring).

Settled on 40mg and was happy on it.

Was also on 40mg for 7 months in 2014. It really helped the anxiety, and slept like a log too. Still got my symptoms popping back in though which is why I decided to try HRT. But to be honest the HRT I have tried so far has been no more effective than Amitriptyline.

It's good that you can experiment with the oestrogel though. But what about the progesterone?

Thanks for this info on your dosage. :great:  I was told to try a month at 25mg. Will wait to see if another GP agrees or not, which is fair enough, its not like I'm going to start upping the dose by myself or anything. Just querying the paperwork in the box to make sure if I'm taking it that its going to do some good. It didn't help me sleep last night and I thought if its ever going to help with that it would be the first night.   

I've already got what I think is the best grog I can have, bio identical progesterone, it's utrogestan.  :great:

coldethyl

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »

Sorry you don't feel that you had a good appointment, but you went and said your piece which is a big step. I'd think that the GP has probably started you on a low dose to try and minimise any side effects. You're far more likely to stick with it and be able to increase it gradually than starting off on a higher dose and binning the lot if you get side effects.
I'm not sure whether you'll be advised to do anything differently over phone by another GP at the practice. They tend not to speak out of turn in my experience though your own GP may change it when they see you in three weeks.

BrightLight

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »

Hi Clovie - sounds to me as if you did just great at the appointment, despite anxiety.  That's a big win.  Sorry the Dr didn't really approach you in the way you would have felt more comfortable with, it's horrible to get that blank face and a bit intimidating, but you continued with your requests.  That's just great.

Hope you get the medication sorted and feel comfortable with it and hope it helps too x

orchid

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »

Oh Clovie he obviously hasn't made you feel reassured...damn doctors! Not to worry at least you have something now and the option of seeing a different dr in a month. I take Dosulepin, there has been a problem with the 75mg tablets, but I have recently been restarted on these and had two prescriptions already, without a problem. However, Amytriptyline is similar in that it is a Trycyclic and is good for pain. If you're ok on them they will probably increase your dose in 4 weeks. Will you be able to see that nice lady dr?

Clovie

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »

Thanks.

Just to let you know, the head doctor at the practice just phoned my hubby. He said he expected me to feel sleepy last night on 25mg but told him he is happy for me to start at 50mg if I WANT to because I didn't, and to see how that goes for a few weeks. He said its up to me.

I think I might give 25mg another go tonight and if the same thing happens then I'll try 50mg.

An apt has been made for me to see the lady doctor in 3 weeks and because she is on leave NEXT week apparently (not the full fortnight - hubby says maybe he misunderstood OR that the receptionist DID say she was on leave for a fortnight) she is going to telephone me the week she is back, before going in to see her the week after.

So I think I feel much happier at this.

Thanks for reading, and yes, I DID make it to the appointment. I AM proud of myself I suppose.  :) 

Clovie

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »

Oh Clovie he obviously hasn't made you feel reassured...damn doctors! Not to worry at least you have something now and the option of seeing a different dr in a month. I take Dosulepin, there has been a problem with the 75mg tablets, but I have recently been restarted on these and had two prescriptions already, without a problem. However, Amytriptyline is similar in that it is a Trycyclic and is good for pain. If you're ok on them they will probably increase your dose in 4 weeks. Will you be able to see that nice lady dr?

thank you Orchid. :) no he wasn't the kind of doctor I'd pinned all my hopes on, sadly. 
I didn't have the heart or the confidence to query/argue with him about dosulepin last night, but might ask the lady doctor, if she is nice and approachable, what the difference is between the two drugs (amitryptiline  and dosulepin), just so I know.    Thanks again x

Dorothy

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

You've made a huge step forward.  You've gone through with the appointment, managed to communicate what you wanted to even though you felt stressed by the doctor's manner and have come away with medication which MAY work and with the option of increasing/changing if it doesn't.  I think you've done brilliantly.  Keep reminding yourselves of the positives...you could have felt unable to cope with the appointment at all and not gone in!

Clovie

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

Thank you Dorothy, :)
I feel much better about it now, yes I must focus on the positives, drat this horrid negative fog I'm in of late!!!!

I just want the old me back, I'm usually happy jolly positive with lots of ideas and projects on the go (home décor etc) and we have a mega holiday coming up very soon and I'll be darned if this is going to spoil our big tour of the USA!   :banana:

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »

You are unlikely to get the 'old' you back, this is The Change of Life!  Getting the medication right B4 you go to the US is important as is having copies of prescriptions etc. to carry through Customs. [packed yet?]

You don't have to wait until your next appt., you can speak with a Pharmacist about the differences and recommended dosage!  They have private rooms these days.  I often pop into Lloyds or Boots for a chat.

Once the medication begins to ease symptoms you should feel much brighter and more positive.  Little steps!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5