Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which anti-depressant?  (Read 11282 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Which anti-depressant?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

I took Amitriptyline for PND years ago. It suited me fine. Made me feel very serene (perhaps too serene, looking back?). I slept like a log too. After a year on it, a new GP swapped me to Sertraline which wasn't nearly as nice. Made me feel wired all the time.

When I started with hormonal anxiety and low mood a couple of years ago, I tried Sertraline again, but had an evil reaction to it this time. So changed to Amitriptyline again. It took a good while to kick in, but I started sleeping like a log again. I never really felt that serene on it again, as my peri symptoms could still break through regularly and I would still get dips of anxiety and mood swings. Plus I gained 12lbs.

After 7 months I just stopped taking it, because I was always 'aware' of being slightly sedated and didn't like it. I actually went cold turkey off it, and had zero problems, but I was very lucky.

I briefly tried Mirtrazapine last Autumn. I only tried 15mg but it didn't help me sleep (as people said it would) and I started to feel extra anxiety and jitters. On day 9 of it, I neatly collapsed at work with a horrendous panic surge (my first ever one). I didn't dare take another, yet I know people who love it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »

Ahhh might sound brutal but read my answer: initially one feels better but one doesn't always notice all the benefits for several months after.  All of a sudden I thought "I feel better" as the medication really kicked in.  I did have one AD which I was warned would take 3-4 weeks to begin to work, within 48 hours I felt better. It really does depned on the cause of the depression and how long that the brain has been depressed.

I have never gained weight on an AD.  Is that luck?

Clovie

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »

oh I must have read it wrong LOL. That's  better then!  :)

About weight gain, although I could stand to lose a pound or two...ahem...  ::) I'd rather be as big as a house, nay, an office block,  than feel like I do right now!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »

Once one starts to feel better one can address any changes of diet and add an exercise regime  ;) - little steps!

Clovie

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »

EXACTLY my thoughts  :)

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »

The Spring is on the way so the brighter days will lighten moods, enabling us …………   :tulips:

Sarai

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:41 PM »

I take sertraline, have for years. It works well for anxiety once the initial early side effects wear off. I upped mine last year as I was sinking due to medical negligence and probably meno. I take just under 100mg now. I gone 7 months now without period, anxiety is tiny in a morning only. Since upping it in September no flushes at all. I do realise it can all change. But right now meno stuff is very mild.

jazzcj

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »

Hi Clovie I took amitryp and it made it almost impossible to wake up in the morning.  I've tried various AD's and Citalopram seems to work best for me.  Just need to persevere with the initial side effects which wear off after a while.  Its also thought to help meno too.

Good luck

Jan :D

Clovie

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »

Thanks all, once again!

I've tried a couple of SSRIs for PND etc in the past but the side effects were unbearable, night terrors, debilitating anxiety, palpitations, sweat pouring off me, restless legs, and one (venlafaxine I think?) made me throw up continuously within half an hour of taking first tablet. I don't get on well with SSRIs, unfortunately  :(

These side effects are the main reason I've put off taking ADs to be honest.
I just want to make sure I try something different, something that's perhaps not going to make me feel worse . It could well end up that these other types I've been reading up on might affect me the same way, but no way of knowing until I try, - its such an important decision.   

I did use dosulepin (well it was Dothiepin, same thing apparently) for PND once and that seemed OK and helped me sleep like a baby, but I asked a few years ago after a car crash for these when they offered me Prozac, and was told they are not prescribed any more as were dangerous?  ??? Yet I see others have them now.
Does anyone know if they have been reintroduced, modified or anything? 

Thanks again, you are all so lovely for the help you've given me over the last few weeks.  :)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »

Hello

I take 20mg of Duloxetine for anxiety and these tablets have also enabled me to have brilliant sleep. I got results from these tablets at the lowest dose.  I didn't think the side effects were too bad really, I never felt sick although nausea is common on them and they have also made me loose weight.

I'm not looking forward to coming off them as that can be quite tricky. My only issue with them now I am back at work is that I can't think clearly and my memory is shocking. Then about 10 hours after taking them, I seem to come round a bit.  May possibly change the time of taking them.

Hope this helps, apparently these are also good for pain.

Briony

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »

Hello

I take 20mg of Duloxetine for anxiety and these tablets have also enabled me to have brilliant sleep. I got results from these tablets at the lowest dose.  I didn't think the side effects were too bad really, I never felt sick although nausea is common on them and they have also made me loose weight.

I'm not looking forward to coming off them as that can be quite tricky. My only issue with them now I am back at work is that I can't think clearly and my memory is shocking. Then about 10 hours after taking them, I seem to come round a bit.  May possibly change the time of taking them.

I agree they are definitely good for pain, but please, please look at the links I posted previously before coming off them (especially the second one from the fda).

Clovie

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »

Ahhhhh Briony!
I'm not sure how I managed to miss those links when I read your earlier reply, but I've just read them now  :'(

This worries me greatly!
I had awful side effects with SSRIs in the past (including the head zapping, reading this has just reminded me) that's why I never stuck on them for any length of time.

I don't want to end up feeling worse.  *Big sigh*....... :-\ :-\

Briony

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

I hope I'm not coming across as negative - I know what doesn't work for one may m#be great for another, but I really think Cymbalta withdrawal is an issue. Trouble is, people dont realise until they are already on and want to come off. The fda document even  shocked my doctor.
In the end, I was OK coming off and the brain zaps were tolerable, but that's only because I did it so slowly and counted the beads.

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »

CLovie I hope you get peace about the way forward, I really do.

12 years ago I took Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 6 months and it took me another 6 months to get off them which is why I have resisted ADs until recently.  In November I was given Citalopram, then changed to Escitalopram due to side effects. I was ok for 4 weeks then more side effects appeared and got worse each day. My GP has been a brick, he really has, and I am now safely down to a very low dose, probably lower than would be effective for most people but it just takes the edge off and the effects have gone away so I will stick with this ultra low dose for a while.  However these things seem to get rid of one thing and hit you with several more.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

Hello

I agree they are definitely good for pain, but please, please look at the links I posted previously before coming off them (especially the second one from the fda).

Yes I've started taking fish oils already in readiness for my withdrawal as they are supposed to help with the brain zaps. I also think that I'll take it really slowly, glad that I never increased passed the 20mg. My brand isn't the Eli Lilly, so hoping, praying, that mine are easier to come off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3