Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Patronising GP's  (Read 13500 times)

lancashirelass

Re: Patronising GP's
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
I once had to see a neurosurgeon about my neck condition and had been warned he reduced some patients to tears he was so abrupt and outspoken.

I decided that I would not take offense or let him get to me but I remember one visit he sat there on his side of the desk - huge stomach hanging over his trousers, bald head and only a face a mother could love and he said "  do you know if you were thinner you would be quite good looking". I was gobsmacked and kept thinking did he really say that. I found it funny as it was def pot calling the kettle black but could see how others might have been really upset by it.

As someone who used to work for the gmc that kind of behaviour should be reported that isnt acceptable at all. 

coldethyl

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »

That reminds me of my boss at work many years ago. I was on fertility treatment and put on weight so one day while queuing at the drinks machine be asked me if I was pregnant. When I explained the situation be said that if my husband couldn't manage it, he was more than willing to give it a go.

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »

So sorry to read all your sad stories  :(.

There are good GPS and I have one.  My consultant is also excellent.  They make me a partner in my own treatment and always talk to me on a level, one to one. They are patient with me when it is clear I have looked something up and acknowledge that I know my own body and discuss why I am concerned.  I can contact them by phone (through the secretary in the case of my consultant) and they always get back to me, albeit not immediately as they have other patients.

When I have an appointment with my consultant he has a way of making you feel like you are the only patient he is seeing that day.

I know this thread is about poor and patronising GPs but I wanted to redress the balance and say that there are good ones, I wish you could all find one  :hug:

Coldethyl I would have had him for sexual harrassment, that comment was totally inappropriate  >:(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »

Lancshirelass - I have to admit I was rather speechless but he was a professor of neurosurgery and the top man in his field and compared to what others had had said to them at least mine was a backhanded compliment!

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »

That reminds me of my boss at work many years ago. I was on fertility treatment and put on weight so one day while queuing at the drinks machine be asked me if I was pregnant. When I explained the situation be said that if my husband couldn't manage it, he was more than willing to give it a go.

I'd lose all respect for a boss who said something like that  :o

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »

My last appointment at the Meno Clinic was so disastrous and upsetting due to the patronising Spanish consultant, that I cried all the way home, then rang Annie Evans to book an appointment.

The Spanish consultant had mis read my notes, thought I was post menopausal, and was basing a new HRT regime based on this incorrect information. Thank God I knew a little about HRT, and corrected her. I think that pissed her off, and she didn't apologise, just mocked me gently 'for readin too much' about HRT on the Internet.

I pointed out that all my knowledge came from this site, which is officially recognised as the 'go to' site in the Meno clinic's literature. I also pointed out having worked as an academic researcher in the past, it was second nature for me to do my research. She didn't like that either.

She ended up saying sarcastically 'well why don't you tell me what you think I should do?'

Well, correctly reading my medical notes would be a start... (I didn't say this).

Doctors are only very human. I know because I was at university with lots of them and have worked in a clinical environment. Some of them ARE on an ego trip and do not like a patient who is informed, educated and articulate. Their actively want to bring them down a peg or two.

I certainly didn't go into my meno appointment being bolshie and opinionated. I was very quiet and feeling low, and it took everything I had to voice an opinion. But I'm glad I did.

SadLynda

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

Could constant itchiness and boils = lack of iron/zinc?  Maybe go into a Pharmacist and ask?

last blood test showed iron/folic level all good, hence the 'nothing wrong with you' retort.  He is currently suffering from yet another bad cold before he had got over the last one.  will tell him to ask about zinc thanks :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »

My DH has had several colds since November - might have to think about him having low zinc levels  ::)  ???.  The 1st 2 he kindly blew in my direction; the 1st wasn't too bad in that I had the sniffles for 2 days, followed by a cough for 10 days; we then had a break between of 9 days before the 2nd Germ manifested itself.  I felt worse with that one and coughed for weeks - now he's getting over another (Note to Self!!!)

I never feel rushed when I visit my GP because I take a list and he works down it with me.  Other patients haven't been so lucky with him though  :-\ ……… and I've worked with some horrors too  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »

Crikey!  nowt changes, it's engrained!

ariadne

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »

CLKD - you are so lucky to have a GP who will take time to go through a list with you. At my surgery, as well as posters and a TV screen displaying things you must or must not do, you are advised that only one problem can be discussed at your appointment.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »

That's up to the patients to a certain degree, if necessary I make a double appt..  Joining the Patient Forum can make a difference but I haven't yet felt it necessary. 

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

CLKD - you are so lucky to have a GP who will take time to go through a list with you. At my surgery, as well as posters and a TV screen displaying things you must or must not do, you are advised that only one problem can be discussed at your appointment.

Ariadne xx

My practice also has a single problem policy and there is no such thing as a double appointment.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »

For the last few months at ours you can't book a face to face appointment, you have to book a telephone appointment and then the doctor will say if he needs to see you or not. To get the telephone consultation appointment it can be a 2 week late and then if they feel they need to see you, add another week on!
 It is a strictly one ailment per appointment as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:04:12 AM by Tinkerbell »

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »

no wonder people go to A & E departments when there are GP practices that are so inaccessible  :(

Katejo

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 09:02:14 PM »

For the last few months at ours you can't book a face to face appointment, you have to book a telephone appointment and then the doctor will say if he needs to see you or not. To get the telephone consultation appointment it can be a 2 week late and then if they feel they need to see you, add another week on!
 It is a strictly one ailment per appointment as well.

Telephone appointments are an absolute pain, simply because they won't tell you the approx time of the call. You have to be on the alert all day at work. Once you miss it, it's hard luck and you start all over again. At least my practice does do the call on the same day.
Patients waiting to see the GP see a video which plays again and again about not bothering the GP with colds and flu.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:18:51 PM by katejo »
Pages: 1 [2] 3