Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2215 times)

madmumof5

« on: January 21, 2016, 11:49:59 AM »

Hi

Thank you for adding me, my name is Donna and I live on the coast in West Sussex.

For over a year I suffered I kept going to dr's as I was all over the place erratic periods and unusually tearful etc. I could never get an appointment with my own dr but after having to leave the job I loved as I just couldn't cope I insisted on an appointment with my own dr.
He sent me immediately to the nurse for blood tests and booked me in for the following week, I got a letter saying my FSH was extremely high and yes I was going through the menopause and to see how I went. I went back a few months later as it was getting me down he re tested my blood with the intent of putting me on HRT when the results came back my FSH was really low so and my oestrogen was higher so no hrt. This week the symptoms have got worse after 4 days of very heavy constant bleeding that stopped as abruptly as it started the flashes etc are terrible waking up soaking wet freezing cold having to change my night ware etc he has said to have another blood test at the end of the month he seems confused by my fluctuating FSH and says I am a phenomenon anyone else having this. Thanks in advance xx

Eve53

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »

Hi Madmum. I started like you, and my FHS was normal, it wasn't till a year or so later that after I was tested again as I had a lot more symptoms, that I had a high reading. I'm saying wait as long as me, as you obviously are in peri menopause, but I have heard they fluctuate all the time. Drs should know this, but sadly they look at test results not symptoms. Go in with a list and be firm, or ask to be referred to a menopausal nurse. I'm new to MM too, so just getting used to it all. I've been at my wits end, but have been trying natural route before HRT. I've never reached my year milestone without a period. At the moment I'm 9 months free, but been hear before. Good luck and take care. Xx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »

Hi and glad to have you onboard.

The new NICE guidelines tell Dr to go on symptoms not blood tests,they are notoriously meaningless,our hormones fluctuate normally daily so depending on what day you get tested............ differing results.
Print the guidelines off if necessary and go back saying you want to try hrt ,it is your prerogative ,hrt should sort your flushes out quite quickly. Let us know how you get on.

madmumof5

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

Where can I find the NICE guidelines please.

Donna

Jenna

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:31:07 PM »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM madmumof5
Look at the NHS Choices website and there is a link there for the new guidelines if you search menopause.
A good option in the peri stage is to have a Mirena fitted, as this will control and eventually stop all bleeding but you can then gradually add some oestrogen to reduce flushes and other bothersome meno symptoms. In my peri stage and for many years beyond I used Oestrogel as this gives you the option to adjust your dose.  I started on just one pump of gel per day and then after few years, when my oestrogen levels had really dropped, I increased this a bit. If you don't want the Mirena then perhaps try a low dose of HRT e.g. Femoston 1/10 or use the oestrogel daily with a separate progesterone for 12 days each month. Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »

Hi madmumof5

:welcomemm:

Aaagh - yet another example of an ignorant doctor!!!!!!!!!!

As the others have said FSH and oestrogen fluctuate throughout a normal cycle anyway and especially during peri-menopause. The only time doctors are now supposed to test for FSH is age below 45. Your doc needs to read up on the menstrual cycle and menopause and shame on him for not understanding the basics.  Here is the information about diagnosis of menopause on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

If your cycles are irregular and you are getting classic symptoms then you are peri-menopausal - although it would be good practice at this point for the doc to give you a full blood test for vits. iron, thyroid function etc to check everything else is working OK.

Also if I were you I would get a print-out of your test result so far or phone up and ask them - ie your actual FSH and oestrogen - you should not need another blood test. Also can you remember when in the cycle these were taken? - but this is often impossible to tell because cycles are irregular!

Dancinggirl has given you some good suggestions re HRT if this is what you want - under age 51 it is advised anyway - ie the natural average age of menopause.

Absolutely as dazned says - go back and ask for HRT if you want it - but make sure you understand about the different types first because sometimes you can get fobbed off with the cheapest. Also some docs just give anti-depressants if they are really out of date or don't know much about menopause.

Also here is an article about peri-menopause too:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Hurdity :) x

Eve53

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »

Hi Madmumof5  we are both new to all this and it sounds like you have had good advice from the other girls. Like you I know a lot about symptoms of the menopause, but obviously not enough things that can help other than using natural methods. I've always been told to be wary of HRT. It's a shame our Drs are not taught enough about our hormones. I posted on another thread about looking for advice. A lot of ladies have been giving me that. I hope there is an easy way to understand all the HRT out there as my foggy brain is just that :o Eve53 x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »

:welcomemm:  welcome both  :tulips2: :tulips:

Browse round.  Make notes.  Is there a Practice Nurse in your Surgery/s, she may be more up-2-date with NICE Guidelines … keeping a food/mood diary helps some ladies.