Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can I be a blood donor if I use Evoril Sequi patches?  (Read 1848 times)

hotstff

Can I be a blood donor if I use Evoril Sequi patches?
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »

I'm thinking of donating blood, but the advice seems a bit sketchy.  I looked on the blood donor site and I think it says you can donate if you are on pills but not on patches.  Unless I've read it wrong.  It's not very clear.

I don't want to get there and have them turn me away  :-\  that would be so embarrassing.

lancashirelass

Re: Can I be a blood donor if I use Evoril Sequi patches?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »

According to this not i would call the helpline to check

Therapy
If having investigations - please wait until these are finished.

If treatment due to malignancy - We are sorry but you are unable to donate.

If this is being used to treat symptoms of the menopause or to prevent osteoporosis only - You may donate if taken by mouth or if using an implant all wounds must be healed with no infection and you feel well on the day.

Any other reason - Please call our Donor Helpline on 0300 123 23 23, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm where we can transfer you to your local Referral Team who can deal with more complex issues.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:28:51 PM by lancashirelass »

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:54 AM »

Hotstff

I am on Estradot patches for around 2  and 1/2 yrs and been giving blood for about 1 and 1/2 and have had no problems and I did tell them I was on HRT, but if you feel you need reassurance than ring the blood help line xx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »

It does seem say on the website that HRT by mouth is acceptable which I thought ruled out patch or gel HRT. It is confusing so a phone call might be a good idea.

Taz x

hotstff

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

Thank you for the comments.
I think I will phone up to make sure.

After years of driving past a mobile blood donor van I find myself wanting to donate blood, (something I've always wanted to do but never been brave enough in the past) so I was really hoping they wouldn't refuse me.
I will report back on what they say, as there could be others who are also wondering whether HRT affects a person's ability to be a blood donor.