Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice Premique low dose  (Read 8532 times)

Monalisasmiler

Advice Premique low dose
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »

Hi Ladies I have just joined the forum so wanted to say hello to you all and ask advice or others experience.

I have been peri menopausal for 2 and half years now - and the worst symptom is the lack of sleep and the hot flushes, also have the foggy brain and memory loss  ;). I notice the flushes seem to get worse over Christmas but realise my diet hasn't helped. I have tried lots of supplements, menapol plus, menopase, isoflavones, French maritime pine bark, calcium pnaothenate but nothing has made any difference.

In the New Year I finally decided to bite the bullet and was given premique low dose. I have been taking it two weeks so realise I still need to give it some time but have put on weight already but have been on a mission for the last 18 months to lose weight which was going well and going to classes 4-5 times a week so a bit frustrating. Other things have notice running to the loo every five minutes, sore boobs and have breakthrough bleeding.

So my question is how have others found this, has it been successful with helping with menopausal symptoms, is it possible to lose weight while taking it and has it helped with flushes and sleep?

Thank you so much ladies, look forward to learning more about you all.  :)

Mona

Monalisasmiler

Re: Advice Premique low dose
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »

Ooh not used to the fact rum hope I've posted this in the right place? Any others experiences would be so grateful to learn? Have been reading your posts with interest and noted that this one I s one of the Hrt with lots of side effects and that it is pregnant mares urine :( it is difficult knowing which one is best or whether to try the alternative therapies again.

Thank you so much

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »

Hi Monalisasmiler

:welcomemm:

Sorry your post has got missed. We must have all been busy at once - those that reply about HRT! There are a lot of posts and new members!

Aside from the HRT type itself, if you are peri-menopausal - ie are still having periods and have not been without one for 12 months, then you should normally be given a cyclical HRT which gives a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks, instead of a continuous combined (no bleed) one as you have been given.

The reason for this is that more erratic bleeding is often experienced when women who are not yet post-menopausal take continuous combined HRT, and this also happens in post-meno women who are prescribed conti HRT for the first time, until it settles.

HRT itself should not put on weight although some progestogens especially can cause bloating/water retention. Personally I would go to your doc and say you have been given the wrong type (unless this was deliberate?) and depending on your age and what your periods have been doing over the past year or so, I would ask for Femosotn 1/10 to start with. This has fewer side effects than Premique and the other tablet HRT types.

Side effects due to oestrogen should settle.

Here is some info on diet and weight gain:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Here are the HRT types for peri-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

My weight goes up and down and I've been on HRT for more than 8 years - I have to put some effort into it though! My boobs remain slightly larger and denser than when not on HRT though.

Alternative remedies did nothing for me - well I thought they did but my body was changing anyway. Making sure your diet and lifestyle are improved though is the best thing you can do for your health at this time of life.

Hope this helps and glad you have joined us :)

Hurdity x

Monalisasmiler

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »

Thanks so much Hurdity for the reply 😊 My last period was August time - she was a new Doctor asked me when last period was - had said they had not been very regular. I have stopped taking them today and will see how I am but will follow through with your suggestions thank you if I find myself back at the doctors 😊

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

Hi Monalisasmiler

I wasn't suggesting you stop HRT completely but just that you probably need to change type - both due to the side effects and becuase you were put onto a continuous combined type. Please don't suffer needlessly because of this bad experience!

Hurdity x :)

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »

Hello Monalisasmiler and welcome to MM!

I agree that it sounds as though you have been given the wrong type of HRT.  You are not alone, this is coming up on MM time and time again!  Did you ask for a bleed free HRT regime?

Premique low dose is a continuous combined, synthetic form of HRT which I have also tried and did not get on with at all.  It gave me enlarged and painful breasts, low mood and did nothing for my thermostat control - I might as well have not bothered taking it at all.  Admittedly I am intolerant to all forms of synthetic progesterone but breast pain is a common problem even for women who are not intolerant to it.  Another point, the dose you are on is very low and probably not enough to keep symptoms at bay anyway.

While many women may get on well with Premique, many do not and if you fit into the latter category, you need to change it.  Many of us on here who have been around the block on HRT now take bio identical, transdermal (patch or gel) forms of HRT with a separate progesterone which is usually Utrogestan.  This does mean having the dreaded periods again but from my own experience, it is the only formula that really works.  Also, this regime carries fewer side effects and risks - the risks attached to HRT (albeit very small risks) are associated with the oral synthetic components of HRT not the transdermal, bio identical forms.  You might also need to take testosterone.

Hope that helps.

Monalisasmiler

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »

Thank you Mary G appreciate your taking the tine to respond. I haven't been getting in at all well with it have theories boobs and not good on stomach for some reaso- indigestion, bloating etc. I was going to leave it and start again with the alternative therapies but after no sleep last night again and trying to function at work in a fog like state have an appointment in the morning.

I will do done investigating tonight on the ones you and Hurduty mentioned so that I am prepared in the morning  :)

Thank you both ever so much for your helpful insights xx

Monalisasmiler

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Just to update ladies I got the fomeston 1/5 mg from the doctor and was hopeful but my boobs are so sore still 😳 Also have really bad back ache which is similar to when I used to have a period. I know it's early days so will persevere has anybody found anything to help with these symptoms?

Thank you xx

dazned

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:09:27 PM »

Hi

Just to tell you that Femoston 1/5 is a continuous type hrt again,so unless you have not had a bleed for at least 12 months you should be on a sequential hrt.   :-\