Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hi, newbie here, struggling with HRT, could do with some advice please  (Read 2944 times)

Milojo

Hi, I've just joined and need some advice about HRT please.

I'm 46 and I had a total hysterectomy 13 weeks ago. I started HRT 1mg Progynova tablets 4 weeks after the op. Before I started it I felt terrible, hot flushes, night sweats, tearful and generally unwell.

The sweats, night flushes and mood swings have stopped but have been replaced with insomnia. Some nights I get barely two hours, and I'm back at work so tired all the time.

For the last two weeks I've had terrible dry skin,  particularly on my face. My eye lids are cracked, around my mouth is very cracked and sore and I have red patches on my face. Nothing is relieving it, I've tried several lip balms, medicated cream from chemist but still dry.

I've spoken to my GP who thought HRT might be too low so increased me to 2mg. Ive been on this for a week and my sleeping has improved but skin is the same.

I also have aching joints and I feel agitated when I'm in bed. I also feel old and my mum thinks my face looks swollen. I do think I look like I've aged in 3 months  :-\

So I've Googled and these symptoms seem to indicate low estrogen, does this sound right?

I'm worried about the HRT increase as I'm overweight and scared of risks.

Do you think I should try a different HRT, maybe patches? Can anyone recommend if tablets, patches or other methods have better results.

I know its early days and its trial and error with HRT but im beginning to regret the op (even though my life is so much better without periods).

Thanks

dazned

Re: Hi, newbie here, struggling with HRT, could do with some advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »

Hi and  :welcomemm:

Its still very early days after your operation and your body is going through the shock of that ,then its having to adjust to the hrt as well I'm sure things will settle with time ,dont be so hard on yourself,rest when you can you've been through alot surgically and mentally.
Others on hrt with hyster will be along soon with more advice too I'm sure. Take care.

Nina

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »

Hello milojo  :D

Yes patches may suit you, it's all trial and error really. You're still young so a higher dose may be better.

I started on a 100mcg patch which is the highest but reduced to 75 because I had palpitations and wasn't sleeping very well.

To be honest I think 85mcg would be perfect for me but that's not possible so I do the best I can with what I've got, which is all anyone can do right?

So keep trying and you'll find one that helps. Not every single day for ever but for the majority of here and now. Good luck 😀

Niamh

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »

Hello there is also the gel to consider? It's very easy to apply and you can easily adjust the dose. A friend of mine had a total hyster and also has implants....

Nina do you mind if I ask about your issues with the 100 patch (sorry to gate crash) it's just ive found on 3 pumps of gel I get more heart palps and wired anxious, bad insomnia...so was interested in what you said? Do you get this? I use utro for 7 days x 100 mg seeing Prof studd for pmt im 41..all a bit confused at the mo as he wants me in 3 pumps I prefer 2! Thanks x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »

Hello milojo and welcome to MM!

Sorry to hear that your HRT regime has not been very successful so far but it takes time to find the one that suits you.

I would personally recommend the bio identical oestrogen gel because from my own experience, it is far more effective than any other form of HRT for symptom control and also it is very easy to adjust the dose to suit your needs.  I found oral HRT to be completely ineffectual to the extent that I might as well not have bothered taking it at all.  Much of it gets lost in your digestive system so it would not surprise me if your oestrogel levels are too low.  I think that 2 or 3 pumps of Oestrogel taken daily would really help you.

It might not feel like it now but you are lucky that you do not have to worry about taking progesterone which is the achilles heel of HRT and undermines much of the good work the oestrogen does.  Please don't worry about the risks, all the risks associated with HRT are in the synthetic progestin component which you does not affect you. 

I hope you continue to make a good recovery from your operation. 

Nina

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »

Hello Niamh yes the 100 was too much. I used to use the gel 2-3 pumps but I found it annoying and messy really, plus I don't think I absorbed it that well. The patches are much better for stability I feel.

I'm on 1-25 utro as I am not intolerant, quite the opposite! I switched to conti from sequi as I felt horrid when I stopped them after the 15 days.  I am 44. Just  :D

If I could I'd try evorel conti but I think it's only 50 and that's too low for my tender age ha ha.

Niamh

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Hi Nina ive pmed you hope ok don't want to high jack post!