Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: A "hormone attack"??  (Read 6507 times)

A "hormone attack"??
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:25 AM »

Went to bed at 10 pm last night. Long day away shopping, and I drove for 4-5 hours. So was pretty tired. Had a couple of glasses of wine (no unusual amounts) during the evening. Feel asleep easily. Woke up at 1 am with a pounding heart, weird stress feeling and a stomach that made all kinds of growling sounds. Almost felt like I had slight cramps too. Not sweaty but quite hot. Which doesn't make sense because we have about 16 degrees in the bedroom. Got up and drank some water. Peed. Had a small piece of chocolate. Went back to bed with a lingering hot-cold feeling. Managed to go back to sleep again.

So what the .... was this? Hormones again...????

Dancinggirl

Re: A "hormone attack"??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:11 AM »

Sounds like a virus but I'm afraid if I had 2 glasses of wine in the evening it would give me a disturbed night.  I'm afraid it is typical with the meno to become less tolerant of things like wine that are very acidic.   DG x

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »

Sounds like a virus but I'm afraid if I had 2 glasses of wine in the evening it would give me a disturbed night.  I'm afraid it is typical with the meno to become less tolerant of things like wine that are very acidic.   DG x

No virus. I felt perfectly fine when I woke up later.

I'll have my period next week, possibly as early as Monday. If that could matter? Cramps, for instance, are often part of PMS for me... As are sleep problems, weird dreams, and things like that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:53:31 AM by 20032003 »

Rebelyell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »

I also can't tolerate wine any more.   I get exactly that type of attack if I have more than two glasses.  I miss it, but have to admit the lack of hangovers is good!  I just have a couple of beers if we are out, or maybe a G & T.

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »

I don't drink wine anyway, but I could expect a reaction like that after caffeine or sugar.  I have to severely limit what I consume and never have anything like that in the evening.  If I am going to have a cup of tea and biscuit, I have it earlier in the day.

I've found that if I've done a lot of physical work just before my biscuit & tea, I don't tend to get a reaction.  Maybe go for a run before your glass of wine?!!

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »

Hrm... Maybe I have to switch to beer.... ;) Weird reaction, though. I usually don't have that reaction to wine....

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »

I used to get that too, not done for some time thankfully.

Also an ex- wine drinker, my fave tipple - drunk wine from teens to being 45 when could no longer tolorate it, I went to organic wine for a while but then that disagreed with me too :(  Used to give me violent headaches from 2am onwards.  Had to stop drinking, also stopped caffine and drank that since I was about 5 :o

I have got used to not drinking, on the 'rare' occasions we go out I can drive there and back now, no taxi's or walking in bad weather :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »

If I have a glass of wine (or spirit) after 9 pm and then go to bed before it's worn off I will most likely get a 3 day migraine. If I drink it earlier and with food, and also drink more than twice as much water as wine then I'll be fine. Had lots over Christmas and didn't have one migraine, but forced myself to stay up on NYEve even though I had horrible cold and was feeling v tried, so just drank a glass of liqueur at midnight rather than bubbly or wine, and then got the migraine - which was worst about 2 days later!

The wine thing affected me earlier than menopause - even when I was not even peri-menopausal ie late reproductive stage when my pms got worse. I used to get hangovers just from 2 small glasses of wine if drunk later in the evening.

I still enjoy drinks but have worked out what and when I can drink so as to feel mellow but not ill!

Anyway as always I'm doing dry January ( well starting today because it was still Christmas until yesterday and I wouldn't avoid aclohol over the festive season  ;D)

As the others have said - it could be the wine combined with your hormones doing a surge, especially if your period is due.

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:29:33 PM »

Maybe its a combination of the wine and fluctuating hormones, perhaps at a different point in your cycle the reaction might not happen? 

Worth checking out - sometimes I can have tea AND cake with little or no reaction, other times, even half a biscuit makes me feel like I'm dying!  It is definitely linked to hormones and I've learned to know when are the 'safe' times to indulge.  I have a weird 'feeling' which I can't describe, but I know I have to be totally sugar and caffeine free when I feel like that.

SallyG

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »

That is just what I am experiencing today - a hormone attack. I just feel really hormonal. Shaky, and that awful creeping feeling in the arms and lower legs. This time last year I didn't really know what it was. It definitely helps to know it is a hormonal thing. I feel anxious and because of that slightly paranoid and needy. I was at a staff training event today and was aware that I had this awful shaky feeling come over me. Dreadful. Literally dreadful. Its so undermining when I take HRT and anti anxiety pills. I drank 3 or 4 cups of coffee which I try not to do as it makes the anxiety worse. In terms of food intolerance Christmas really showed me that I cannot eat a variety of foods that a year ago I could eat with impunity.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »

Not low blood sugar SallyG? That can cause the shakes (and sweating at the same time) and some women may not be aware of this if they haven't experienced it before. Just a thought.

Hurdity x

Babsm67

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »

Hi, you have my sympathy - I have been experiencing something like this since Sunday & my period is due.  I keep feeling nauseous, having heartburn & feel generally unwell & anxious.  Also have had headaches & flushes.  I thought I was getting a virus but I am not so sure.  I have been feeling like this since eating & drinking things that I shouldn't have touched with a bargepole (and getting a few acne-like bumps on my face and body).  I am into!erant to various foods & if I have a glass of wine, I will pay for it later with sleeplessness & night sweats. Definitely wouldn't touch coca-cola - it gives me the shakes.  It is very strange how these things start up during late reproductive/peri stage.  Last month, after months of short cycles, my cycle suddenly reverted to dead on 4 weeks & I only have 2 days to go before this month will be likewise yet I feel exactly how 20032003 has described.

Js

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »

Hi ladies I have heard that alcohol and wine can accacerbate hot sweats but beer doesn't strange but still I am on half of evoril conti patch as I have been told I should come off it as I've been on it for over 5 years now but I am finding I am getting night sweats but when I came off it before and using  half I didn't get any sweats until I actually came off it all together so I might be going back to my hormone nurse to see what she give me to help the sweats as I can't keep having my sleep disturbed with the sweats . I do find however I am getting the sweats also when I'm stressed or having anxiety attacks and worrying that bad things are going to happen could this be hormones I know we tend to blame things on our hormones but it can make you think your going mad
Help

Js

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »

Dorothy, I am exactly the same as you. I can 'tell' when it's 'safe' to drink coffee and eat cake, and when it most definitely isn't. One of the ways I know when I'm 'well' is when I can order a coffee in a cafe/restaurant almost without thinking. Likewise I can easily eat chocolate late and night and still 'know' I will sleep fine.

It's like sometimes I will go to bed, having had a vile day, yet 'knowing' tomorrow I will be fine. I don't know how to explain it

pepperminty

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »

Hi ,

after having exactly the same thing - waking up sweating and panicky after drinking alcohol- and only a couple of glasses , I decided it wasn't worth drinking anymore. I just don't feel great after alcohol since the peri menopause. I can still enjoy myself without a drink and it means I can drive. 

PM xx