Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Another Year, Another Diet  (Read 16282 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Another Year, Another Diet
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »

She's running you around by the sound of things.  How is she should you 'agree' with letting her eat exactly as she wants to?  She has lost her sparring partner i.e. your Dad; so now you are in the firing line. 

Have you talked with a dietician to see what exactly is 'bad' for your Mum?  At 74 is it worth the hassle for you? 

As for more salt in the cooking, then it's 2 pots - 1 with your greens in with the salt you like and a 2nd pot that your Mum can salt herself ;-).  what happens to your Mum over-all if she eats 'crap'? OH! a spider has run across the floor it's alright, I'm OK  ;D ……….

Let us know what she will eat ………… good or bad ;-)

Dorothy

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »

Before I moved in, she was living on cheese, crisps, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, icecream & pizza!  With an occasional ready meal (the really cheap kind where all the salt, sugar and fat traffic lights are red)  So I don't feel I need to see a dietician to discuss whether or not her preferred diet is 'healthy' or not!!!  Oh, and she would have 6 'medicinal' sprouts once a week, so she could tell people she ate 'lots' of greens  ::)  She had a heart attack a number of years ago, so is supposed to watch fatty food etc, but wont do it.

In one way it's not worth the hassle.  In another way, I know if I leave her to her own culinary devices, she will be dead within a year...  So not bothering would feel a bit like signing her death warrant!

She is obsessive about the amount of kitchen equipment used, so cooking two lots of anything is not on - also obsessive about water use - I know it sounds crazy, but you have no idea of the level of control she likes...I even have to hang the mugs on the mug hooks in the right order, and it's like WW3 has started if I get them in the wrong order  :o .

As to what happens if she eats junk food, she feels really ill, but never admits that is the cause - e.g. after eating 2 enormous bowls of clotted cream ice cream, she feels 'really sick', but does she put it down to greed?  Oh no, she is suffering from an 'allergic reaction to something she ate'   ::)  Usually, she decides the reaction was due to the healthiest part of the main meal eaten just before the icecream...

On the plus side, I cooked a potato gratin last night using semi-skimmed milk instead of cream and only 3/4 the amount of cheese and she didn't notice the difference!  Downside is that it is meant to serve 4 but it went in the one meal...

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »

Hard work then!  I know how mothers can throw tantrums  >:( and in our house everything had to be hung the 'right' way, or else  :( ……… I note that since Dad died in 2006 Mum now hangs the loo rolls as she likes  ::) rather than with the edge of the roll hanging outwards.

Is she naracisstic type? or OCD ………  the former more like with her 'allergic reaction' mind-set  ::). How do you cope!

Would your Mum go to a dining club - mine goes every 2 weeks so mixes with others and they get their meal cooked.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:02:17 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »

Before I moved in, she was living on cheese, crisps, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, icecream & pizza!  With an occasional ready meal (the really cheap kind where all the salt, sugar and fat traffic lights are red)  So I don't feel I need to see a dietician to discuss whether or not her preferred diet is 'healthy' or not!!!  Oh, and she would have 6 'medicinal' sprouts once a week, so she could tell people she ate 'lots' of greens  ::)  She had a heart attack a number of years ago, so is supposed to watch fatty food etc, but wont do it.

In one way it's not worth the hassle.  In another way, I know if I leave her to her own culinary devices, she will be dead within a year...  So not bothering would feel a bit like signing her death warrant!

She is obsessive about the amount of kitchen equipment used, so cooking two lots of anything is not on - also obsessive about water use - I know it sounds crazy, but you have no idea of the level of control she likes...I even have to hang the mugs on the mug hooks in the right order, and it's like WW3 has started if I get them in the wrong order  :o .

As to what happens if she eats junk food, she feels really ill, but never admits that is the cause - e.g. after eating 2 enormous bowls of clotted cream ice cream, she feels 'really sick', but does she put it down to greed?  Oh no, she is suffering from an 'allergic reaction to something she ate'   ::)  Usually, she decides the reaction was due to the healthiest part of the main meal eaten just before the icecream...

On the plus side, I cooked a potato gratin last night using semi-skimmed milk instead of cream and only 3/4 the amount of cheese and she didn't notice the difference!  Downside is that it is meant to serve 4 but it went in the one meal...

that last para made me laugh ..... She's a good eater then!!  ;D

My Mum eats loads of sweet stuff ......cakes, biscuits, creamy yogurts, mousses, sweets etc and she also gets through loads of salty stuff like Pringles and Ritz crackers.  however she eats proper food at mine most weekends and she eats at her little club twice a week and that's all home cooked food.  She gets an odd day when she's got extra energy and she will make a batch of homemade soup using all fresh stuff or maybe some shepherds pies to freeze.

She'll be 92 this year so I don't worry any more.  ;)

limpy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »

Well done Dorothy!
How about sneaking in low calorie cheese?

Cassie

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »

My OH cut out all sugar and cut back on potatoes, pasta, carbs and has lost over 8kgs in 3 mths..... :)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »

That's good!  How's his mood?

Cassie

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »

Was a nightmare in the beginning but much better now, he did cheat over Xmas though, who can resist trifle :) think he misses the odd beer as well but when he has seen the scale and had so many compliments, mostly from ladies mind you....he is adamant its his new life style....

clio

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »

Toffeecusion.....first week on sw and ive lost 3lb :)  How are you doing with ww??

Clio

Dorothy

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »

Ooh, well done, Clio!

I've decided there's no point getting too serious about dieting until the Christmas cake has gone...only 3 slices left!

toffeecushion

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »

Well done Clio,  I only lost 2lb,  but I am enjoying it.

clio

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 05:46:33 AM »

Dorothy.....we ate what was opened like mince pies and christmas cake etc however we have loads of unopened stuff like choc biscuits, boxes of chocolates...yum, ive checked the dates and put them away.....out of sight out of mind. 

Toffeecusion.....2lbs is still alot when you think how heavy 2lb actually is!  When i started sw last year I was losing roughly 1lb a week, I know it will take a while for me to get back into my 12s clothes but I dont feel hungry or restricted.  I got in my head its not a diet just a change of eating habits.  If we go out for the day and eat out i'll have what I want off the menu, I just stick to sw when at home.  I know that week I probably wont lose anything but I know from past experiences I will fall of the wagon if I dont give my self a break once in a while and not beat myself up.  I use to have a naughty day then think......right i'll stuff my face and start again Monday.  This is why I found it hard to lose the weight, so I suppose its whats works best for you. 

Clio

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »

Mince pies went long ago - I'm the only person who really likes them so I didn't want to make too many in case I ended up eating them all!  I'm just eating the last slice of Christmas cake so back to one piece of cake a week after this.  Annoyingly, our next door neighbour has just brought round a whole uneaten stolen (which I love) as 'she doesn't want to get fat eating it'!!!  Well, neither do I!

toffeecushion

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

2nd weigh in - lost 3lbs this week.  How is everyone else doing?

Dorothy

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »

Ooh, well done! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3