Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and oestrogel, bleeding  (Read 4808 times)

Ljp

Mirena coil and oestrogel, bleeding
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »

Hi
Hope you've all had a lovely Christmas.

Those of you that gave been following my posts know I had a hysteroscopy on Dec 7 th due to PMB, resulting in mirena coil bring fitted to protect my uterus from the effects of the estriol cream that I'd been using since May

It's all confusing tbh as report said atrophic endometrium, yet he still suggested the mirena ( I only discovered after it was fitted, that estriol, or estring, which she also fitted, doesn't need opposing with progesterone/progestogen) although as she suggested, in some cases, it is necessary.

Anyway, I have had mirena for just the very three weeks, estring I have removed now, and the one pump of oestrogel seems to be controlling my frequency ladder issue, and also I'm feeling SO much better, night sweats are virtually gone, mood is majorly improved, and clarity of mind is better, so all good …BUT… I started spotting/blood when I wipe, a week after having mirena fitted, and am still spotting, although a bit more than spotting the last two days.

When will/ will it stop? I'm worried as I know my lining was thin and am concerned I will end up with problems as a result of continuous blood loss 😟

Hurdity

Re: Mirena coil and oestrogel, bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »

Hi Lisajp - spotting is normal when starting the Mirena - and this could either be due to atrophic endometrium as your consultant said - might not have sufficient oestrogen yet to build up the lining a little,or generally taking a while to settle.

Here is some information about bleeding with Mirena:

Bleeding Patterns:

Different kinds of bleeding changes (frequent, prolonged or heavy bleeding, spotting, oligomenorrhoea, amenorrhoea) are experienced by all users of Mirena. In fertile women the average number of spotting days/month decreases gradually from nine to four days during the first six months of use. The percentage of women with prolonged bleeding (more than eight days) decreases from 20% to 3% during the first three months of use. In clinical studies during the first year of use, 17% of women experienced amenorrhoea of at least three months duration.

When used in combination with oestrogen replacement therapy, perimenopausal users of Mirena may experience spotting and irregular bleeding during the first months of the treatment. The amount of bleeding becomes minimal during the first year, and 30-60% of users are totally free of bleedings.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1829/spc

If you have had recent scans etc as I seem to remember you have, and been declared healthy then no need to worry and the bleeding should settle.

Glad you are feeling better generally :)

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »

As always - Hurdity has given good info.  I did get spotting for quite a few weeks after the Mirena was fitted - if I remember rightly it was about 3 months before it stopped completely. I tis quite normal to get some bleeding at this early stage and is actually a good sign that the Mirena is doing it's job.  Do be patient - it's great you are feeling generally better and though spotting in a nuisance it will stop over the next few weeks I'm sure. DG x

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »

Thank you ladies, I removed the estring last Thursday as I seemed to be getting a very gurgly ibs problem especially at night and wondered if it was the estring?

Hurdity, when you suggest the oestrogen may not have built up sufficiently yet, would it be worth me reinserting the estring for a while longer do you think? Might it help settle bleeding more quickly?

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »

I removed estring as I was concerned I might have too much oestrogen, but now wonder if the reverse could be true?

Pollie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »

Lisa

I have had daily spotting/bleeding since my 3rd mirena inserted in early Sept. I have another referral back to gynae because of the bleeding but it stopped a day or two ago !!

I have been on HRT since 2013 and I have been on 75mg estradiol patch since october.

It seems anything goes so please do not worry yourself too much !

I would continue with the estring until you feel 'moist' below on a daily basis - then you will know the oestrogel is working on the bits below  and you can discontinue with the estring....

HTH

Pollie
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:04:53 PM by Pollie »

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »

Thank you Pollie,
I will re insert the estring 😊