Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood test  (Read 4291 times)

Peterspots

Blood test
« on: December 17, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

Would somebody be able to interpret my blood test results please

FSH 5.3
LH 14.4
Oestradiol 1754 pmol/L

I am 50 (in two weeks!) and still having periods.

At the time of the blood test I was on estradot 25 only

Thank you.

Dancinggirl

Re: Blood test
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »

Hi EnglishRose
I am certainly no expert but your oestrogen level seems awfully high!!! If your FSH was high then this is more likely to indicate menopause but it seems really low!! Why are you on an oestrogen patch?
If you are still having regular periods then you may not be truly menopausal yet.  Your hormones may be fluctuating because you are entering peri meno so these blood tests won't be showing a true picture.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

Wouldn't the FSH be low anyway if EnglishRose is on oestrogen? I thought that FSH rises to stimulate the ovaries to produce oestrogen but if you already have enough oestrogen then maybe the FSH is lower? Not sure   :-\

Taz x

Peterspots

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »

Before hrt my levels were

FSH 46.4
LH 32.8
OESTRODIAL 309

I started on 25 without progesterone.

The consultant has increased it to 50mg femseven but her preferred option would be 50mg estradot and cerazette continuously.

I am am unsure of the role of progesterone and these blood test where taken by another consultant regarding my twitching face (horrible and sometimes painful) and twitches in my body.  My ferritin is low and iron saturatation but my parathyroid hormone is low but calciuim low/normal.

If my oestrogen is that high would it be wise to go to the 50.

what difference does the progesterone make.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »

I'm not sure what difference progesterone  makes to your levels but if you need it to keep keep your womb lining thin and so prevent endometrial cancer. Have you been given Femseven Sequi which will give you a monthly withdrawal bleed?

I was wondering whether your oestrogen level should have a decimal point? It seems that oestrogen needs to be at least around the 40-50pg/ml mark which converts to 13.62 pmol/L according to the chart. I find it really confusing I must admit!

Taz x

Peterspots

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »

Just checked it and it is

Oestradiol 1754 pmol/L

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

Ah yes - I've found this table now http://www.glowm.com/lab_text/item/34

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

That is a very high level of oestrogen EnglishRose - it would be a high reading even for the pre-ovulation peak when it surges. Whereabouts in your cycle were you when this blood test was done? It is difficult to interpret blood tests because oestrogen changes throughout the cycle. In UK blood tests are always in pmol/l.

1 pg/ml =3.67 pmol/l

Also whereabouts in your cycle was the first test carried out?

Taz is right that your FSH would be low if oestrogen is high because it suppresses it - and there is also a complex interplay of various hormones throughout the cycle inculding LH and various other ones called Inhibin and anti-Mullerian hormone and I have no idea what these do!!

Doesn't sound like you need to increase oestrogen at all at the moment..... I wouldn't want levels to be that high all the time but presume they are not due, to your own cycle fluctuating?

Hurdity x

Milamam

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »

Hi,
I have had such high levels of estradiol when checking hormones while on HRT., but only once. Normally my levels will be 300-600 on day 3 of menstrual cycle. My gynae has always said that measuring levels of progesterone and estradiol is useless while on HRT, more important is to look at measures/levels of FSH for example. My last FSH measure was about 7-8. He thinks this indicates I do well on the therapy. Because your FSH was pretty high before starting HRT, and has subsequently fallen, this means the therapy is effective . Why estradiol is so high ? - probably you've had a surge of your own hormones in addition to the HRT. I am not sure here.

Is there a reason why you are on estrogen-only HRT?

Milamam

Peterspots

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

My estrogen was 309 before I started on the HRT.  The consultant wanted me to start on estrogen only first and then add in progesterone.  She has suggested taking cerazette but I have emailed to ask about urogeston because it is mentioned on here

Peterspots

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

Stopped hrt because I thought Estrogen was high & it's been such a mistake my bladder pain pressure is awful. My face won't stop twitching & I have body twitches. Had magnesium measured. Range 0.7 to ? Mine was 0.8 don't know if that has an effect. Going to doctors again on Friday. My pth was low which effects magnesium. Had another test & it was normal.  Just can't find an answer & im getting worse