Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get Ahead Tips?  (Read 8527 times)

libby1

Get Ahead Tips?
« on: December 15, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »

Hi All

Anyone got any get ahead tips for Christmas lunch? What do you do to prepare ahead? I'm fed up with running around like a lemon on Christmas day  ::)

Libby
x

Ju Ju

Re: Get Ahead Tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »

I solved all my Christmas cooking issues by handing over to my daughter! She is one of those weird people who thrive on cooking, read recipe books with relish. I claim no responsibility for her cooking skills, other than she might have developed them in desperation! Whatever, I enjoy the results of her endeavours.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

This year, frozen roast tatties, frozen parsnips. Prawn cocktail, make sauce earlier in the day. Dessert this year is chocolate mousse so making day before. If using fresh vegetables prepare the day before.

Like you I used to spend whole day in the kitchen whilst everyone else enjoys a few drinks, games, TV. Only us two this year so much less pressure.

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »

My Aunt does lunch.  She has always done all the peeling and chopping of veg and pots the night before, she puts meat in when she gets up, only really spends last hour in the kitchen and only my Dad allowed in to cut meat and help out.

If it was me I would be eating out ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

Mum makes the bread and other sauces on C.mas Eve and the vegs get peeled and put into cold water in the cool. 

We eat pheasant which don't take long to cook.  No hours and hours over a turkey!  Puds can be made months in advance and cooked on the morning they are required, gently bubbling away with spicy scents around the house ;-).  Buy fresh mustard and horse radish sauces.

The week before, wash all the crocks and cutlery, dry thoroughly and put on the table if there's room.  Iron any table laundry required and check that plastic table cloths are clean. 

Bulk up on washing liquids, toilet rolls and Rennies  ;)

Galadriel

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »

I'm making the shortcrust pastry for mince pies this weekend so it's ready to roll when I need it for next week. The mincemeat was made ages ago so it's nice and mature.

MIL is making the clootie dumpling for me.
BIL, DD, DS and DH have had their veggie preparation skills honed over the past month and they all know where everything is in the kitchen so no excuses for not helping. All veggies prep'd the night before.
The bird will be stuffed and weighed on Christmas Eve so I can do my timings on the kitchen blackboard.
The bulk of the cooking time will see me with a sherry in one hand. I think I shall try to be Hyacinth Bucket for the day  ;)
The last hour is the big one for getting the last bits done. I like to make my own gravy

M&S will be doing the bread sauce, cranberry sauce, trimmings etc.

Table linen is all sorted.

DD is going to clean the silver candelabra for me too.

Like you CKLD, I've bought in extra loo roll, washing up liquid and antacids ;D

Galadriel x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »

I've hidden mine Galadriel  ;D

libby1

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »

I'd love to have someone else  cook it but it's always down to me  :P

So, I want to do as much as I can the day before.

CLKD - how do you reheat bread sauce? Saucepan or microwave?

Libby
x

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »

I lay the table, make the bread sauce, stuff the bird, make the pigs in blankets and peel the veg (and put in water) the night before.  I also work out the timings the night before so on Christmas Day morning, I just keep an eye on the clock and pop out to the kitchen every time my timetable says something needs to be done.  It's been simpler since we gave up Christmas pudding - none of us like it much, so now we have a choice of Christmas cake, mince pies,  fruit or ice cream/sorbet, so I don't have to worry about dessert!

On Christmas morning, I walk the dog first thing, then pop the turkey in the oven before getting ready for our church service - usually home by about 11.30 and then I start on the veg - the potatoes get par-boiled and shaken about in the pan to roughen the edges & then popped in to roast - it speeds up roasting time and also gives them a nicer texture than roasting from raw.  This year, I'm feeding 6 - it's been years since we had more for Christmas dinner, but even then, the only change was to pop the turkey in first thing and then do everything else.

If you have other people in the house, I suggest making communal veg preparation part of your Christmas tradition!  I used to do the veg with my dad when he was alive and it was part of the fun of getting ready on Christmas Eve. Since he died, I prefer to do it on my own as my mother in the kitchen causes more hassle than it's worth.  So I stick on a carol CD and sing along while peeling and chopping!  I'm actually quite looking forward to having a bit of peace and quiet with the sprouts  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:57 PM »

Mum puts it into the microwave for a few seconds.  Read what it says on the packet!

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »

Packet?  ???  You make bread sauce out of a PACKET?!!!!   ::)   :o

That counts as heresy in our house  ;D

But being the season of goodwill, I'll still speak to you  ;)

Dulciana

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »

We're eating out.  (Hangs head in shame!)  Well, I'll have played for the midnight service the night before and the 10.30am service on the day, so I've got an excuse!    ::)

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »

Packet?  ???  You make bread sauce out of a PACKET?!!!!   ::)   :o

That counts as heresy in our house  ;D

But being the season of goodwill, I'll still speak to you  ;)

Dorothy, how do you make bread sauce?  I'd love to be able to make some but I wouldn't know where to start! 
D.

libby1

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »

I have to say, I have made bread sauce before and bought already made bread sauce but I prefer the packet one  :P

Libby
x

Scampi

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »

I do all the prep on Christmas Eve - peel veg and put it in water to keep fresh, wrap the pigs in their blankets, make stuffing, stuff the turkey and make stuffing and sausagemeat loaf, make the giblet stock for gravy, and write my game-plan for cooking it all the next day.  I also set the table.  All I have to do on Christmas Day is follow my timetable and the feast appears on the table with the minimum of fuss.  I LOVE it!!

BTW - we prefer packet bread sauce in our house too - Colemans to be precise!
Pages: [1] 2