Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Meno and niave  (Read 4550 times)

mollie2

Meno and niave
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »

How many of us know little about the meno? Until I started having problems with my lady bits I thought meno was mainly Flushes and vaginal dryness and stopping of periods,, Maybe ignorance on my part but no one seems to say much about all the other ailments that can occur, It was only reading these boards that enlightened me to how we all suffer.

Taz2

Re: Meno and niave
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »

Hopefully future generations will be better informed. I think it's worth remembering, though, that a lot of women don't suffer very much at all - most of my friends it seems are among them - and would never think to visit a menopause site so it can give a skewed picture of menopause. It's so great to have this resource for those of us who aren't having an easy journey.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »

You knew more than I did then mollie2! I thought it was just flushes and periods getting irregular. Then periods stopping and symptoms stopping and all would be wonderful!  ::) . I agree with Taz it's fantastic to have this site and forum - everything I know about menopause is as a result of first joining on here nearly 6 years ago....

Hurdity x

Galadriel

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »

It strikes me as odd that we don't have any agreed national information program for perimenopause.

We have personal education in late primary/early secondary school regarding puberty and basic sex education. We have loads of antenatal classes when we are pregnant, Health visitors for the early years of our sprogs, but diddly squat for this major change in our lives :o

Galadriel x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

I didn't know much at all about the menopause, so much so, I didn't even know I had gone through it until I had a blood test.  I was not really expecting it because I was only about 45 and thought I was too young but I did wonder why my thermostat was not working properly and asked for a hormone test.

I wish I had known then what I know now and had not wasted my time taking duff HRT medication.  I had a Mirena coil at the time I found out I was post menopause and could have gone straight onto the gel and not wasted time on the patches (for some reason they never worked for me), Angeliq or the other oral HRT that was totally ineffectual.  The Oestrogel is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I hope that all women who read this forum, both members and non-members, can learn from my mistakes and not their own.  I was pretty much alone with the whole thing and had to work it all out for myself.  The only real breakthrough was when I consulted Professor Studd.

There is nowhere near enough information around about peri menopause symptoms and still far too much negative and out of date publicity surrounding HRT.  I think that Family Planning Clinics should merge with Menopause Clinics because there is a definite cross over between birth control and menopause with Mirena coils and BCPs being used by way of HRT for many.  It would be easy to just go from the FPC to the MC when the time comes.  It's called joined up thinking!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:21:09 PM by Mary G »

mollie2

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »

Yes a meno clinic would be great,, I think Id be there a lot though  >:( I find girls at work only say about flushes thats why i thought it was only that not all the other things that can happen, Oh the joys!

Jasminflower

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »

As others here I just thought it was hot flushes and periods stopping. I don't get hot flushes thankfully. But I've got a very dry burning mouth, anxiety, really black reflective thoughts, I've become aggressive in my dealings with people at work (intolerance) and very weird sleeping patterns. I wake up aching for no reason. It's a whole body and mind changing experience. A shock! I am unable to talk about any of this to anyone else as I'm sure they think I'm just moaning. I can't take HRT because of a breast cancer scare a couple of years ago (surgery and radiotherapy) so I just battle on alone. I talked to my GP and she said I don't need drugs  and referred me to 'talking therapies ' which I guess is a form of counselling. I feel quite despondent about my inability to talk about it and wonder if it will ever go away? 😥

mollie2

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »

Tbh without this site I would have thought my bits were abnormal, So glad we have each other x

limpy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »

I'm another one who thought it was just periods stopping  ::)

jgr

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »

Yes me too, i was so looking forward to the menopause to get rid of the dreaded curse every month. Ha, little did i know what a ride i was in for, like most of you i thought it was flushes and periods stopping. As for peri, not once in my entire life had i ever heard of it until i came on hear. I remember a cousin years ago always going to the Dr's thinking she had some dreaded disease like cancer and constantly feeling down, they said she was imagining things as there was nothing wrong, it all makes sense now, poor love was probably going through peri / meno all that time with absolutely no help. Well my daughter knows everything that is happening to me so she should be well informed.

Goosieloosie

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »

Me too, another one that thought Meno was a few hot flushes, erratic periods then they stop and it's all done and dusted! Ha what a joke  >:( I also had never even heard of Peri until I came here. For the last 2 years I've suffered with terrible moods, anxiety, heart palpitations (Dr told me I was stressed) ,hardly wanting to leave the house, not wanting to see people etc and never once did I ever consider any of it was to do with peri/meno.