Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Reducing dose  (Read 1561 times)

donnacrichton

Reducing dose
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »

Hi I have been on Estradot 50mcg which felt too high and been reducing it by taking an exact amount off patch. My question is I have been getting a lot of hot flushes and on 3rd week is this just because of fluctuations or could it be have gone too low ?

Joyce

Re: Reducing dose
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »

How much have you been taking off? Could be fluctuations or if you've been removing same amount accurately, or it could be you've gone a bit low.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »

50mcg does not sound like a particularly high dose, were you getting negative side effects from this dose?  Roughly how much have you cut off?  If you are getting a return of symptoms, it could be your oestrogen is now too low. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »

I agree with Mary G - Estradot 50 mcg is not a high dose. The only time when it might be felt as too high could be if you are still having regular periods or just skipped one maybe and your own oestrogen spikes very high at mid-cycle - so the additional oestrogen might be experienced as too much? The most obvious effects of sudden high oestrogen would be nausea, painful boobs and headache. The hot flushes as Mary G says would be due to reduction in oestrogen - it is only in extreme cases that very high oestrogen causes hot flushes  (tachyphyllaxis) which only usually occurs with implants or really high doses of gel.

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »

I was put on 37.5 mg and felt great for 3 weeks then major flushes hit so was told to up to 50mcg again it easesD then after 1 week headaches all day anxiety and adgitation kept at this for 3 weeks to see if it would settle taking painkillers every day. So have gone for between a 37.5 and 50 exact amount measured out. My own hormones have been shut down so only have what's in the patch. Headache has gone adgitation has nearly gone and also anxiety. Can still feel fluctuations but it's not been long. Was hoping that the flushes are due to it fluctuating still ???