Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flushing at night  (Read 4292 times)

Liz

Flushing at night
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:47 AM »

Hi, I decided a month ago to try a break from my Oestrogel/Utro to see what is going on with my own cycle (I'm almost 48).  I've not had a period yet but am now suffering from waking up several times in the night flushing and sweating, which is obviously very debilitating.  Feel OK mood-wise.

Can sweats/flushes come back this quickly and also, I'm wondering if my period has been delayed by the HRT anyway (perhaps I'll be lucky and not get another one, but I doubt it!).  Been on HRT for 3 years so not sure what my own cycle is up to.

Trying to stay off the HRT if I can, as I wanted to see what my cycle was doing, but not sure I can put up with these sweats and disruption to my sleep.

Thanks for reading!

Joyce

Re: Flushing at night
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Hi Liz, I had a hysterectomy many years ago, so don't know about periods. However, having given up HRT on 3 occasions, to see where I was, I'm back on oestrogen again. Flushes & sweats were exhausting. I was hoping the last time I would be able to stick it out, but doctor agreed that quality of life was more important. It's a tough one, but don't feel bad if you have to give in to HRT.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:28:57 AM »

Hi Liz
I would pop to your GP and ask for a blood test to look at your oestrogen and FHS levels now you have not taken anything for 4 weeks.  This should give a picture of what is going on.  If symptoms have returned this quickly then it may mean your levels are low and you may as well go back on HRT as you are too young to be oestrogen deficient and shouldn't suffer unnecessarily. DG x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »

Thanks both of you.  I gave in just now after my shower and put on a dose of Oestrogel.  Walked my dog earlier and flushed over 6 times in half an hour.  Can't cope with that, especially at night.  Am disappointed I had to give in, especially as I wanted to see what my cycle was doing by itself, but I think it will ruin Christmas if I don't get this back on track.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

My thinking was similar, didn't want to feel like this over Christmas. 6 flushes in half an hour is a lot. My recent break had me, on occasion, having flushes back to back. Horrid! On the whole they didn't waken me too much, but during the day I would be all soggy with the sweats.

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »

Liz, please don't view going back onto HRT as giving in, I think you have done the right thing.  You are only 48 and far too young to be oestrogen deficient for so many years.  There is no reason why you should not stay on the gel for years - there is absolutely no point in suffering menopausal symptoms when you don't have to. 

Nina

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:37:23 PM »

Oh Liz it's not 'giving in' at all!!!!

This is a very negative thought process which in itself could make you feel low!

Think of it as a POSITIVE step (which it really is) and so you can begin to feel happy about the POSITIVE steps you are taking to enjoying life again  :)

Liz

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

Thank you everyone!  I think I meant "giving in" as in going back on the gel, when I wanted to see what my own cycle was doing, if you see what I mean.  Havent had a period since I stopped the HRT just over a month ago, so wanted to see if they are dwindling off and obviously won't be able to tell on the sequi HRT.

Sorry if I offended anyone - I certainly don't view taking HRT as "giving in"....just with my own situation with regard to going back on it before I'd achieved what I set out to do, if you see what I mean.

After a break of a month, Im wondering how long it will take to see if the gel improves my flushing/sleeping.  Would it mean I'm literally starting again?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:53:31 PM by Liz »

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »

I restarted my Estradot patches a week ago & things are slowly starting to ease.

Liz

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »

Just to add to my confusion, I've now developed a sore throat and fluey feeling this afternoon, so wonder if the sweating is a virus or being made worse by it.

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »

Oh I sympathise. I was like a few weeks back. I think in my case the virus made me worse, but not much.

Liz

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »

Well, I put another dose of gel on last night (split the dose into 2 yesterday) and slept much better, but not sure if the gel would have worked that quickly, so may be a coincidence.  Now, I'm not sure whether to continue with the gel today or see if it's a virus....... decisions decisions!  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »

From what I've read estradiol works at two main levels - one is more immediate and the other is longer term - it's all to do with the location of the oestrogen receptors in the cells, and synthesis of various proteins etc in different parts of the body. It's no surprise that it works like this otherwise we would not respond so quickly to changes in oestrogen levels throughout our menstrual cycle.

The short term response would be expected to have an effect fairly quickly and transdermal methods (through the skin) seem to work quicker for women than tablets).

The most important thing though is that you are feeling better and no point in battling with yourself in the run up to Christmas! However as you say viruses at this time of year can make us feel rough and sometimes it's hard to know what's what!

Hurdity x

Liz

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!  I'm still debating whether to use the gel again tonight.... I was hoping to see where my own cycle was and have been off it for just over a month.  I've no problem with going back on it, but just trying to decide whether to stick it out for a while and see if I get a period.

Mary G

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »

Liz, there are definitely plenty of viruses going around at the moment, people seem to be coughing everywhere I go so it would be no surprise if you have picked something up which could explain some of your symptoms. 

Hope you feel better soon.
Pages: [1] 2