Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Estriol cream, post menopause bleed, now mirena coil and estring  (Read 11559 times)

Ljp

Re: Estriol cream, post menopause bleed, now mirena coil and estring
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »

Thank you Mary, you fill me with optimism 😊

What about protection from oestrogen related breast cancers though, will the mirena release enough progesterone to help or doesn't progesterone protect the great tissue too?

Mary G

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »

I'm not sure about that but I'm sure others will come along with some input.  I can tell you that when I had the Mirena, I could feel the progesterone effect in my breasts so I suppose it must have some effect.  I don't get the same effect on the breasts when using Utrogestan vaginally. 

This is not my area but it would appear there are several schools of thought on breast issues.  Some experts say that oestrogen only HRT (with or without limited use of bio identical progesterone) actually DECREASES breast cancer risk, others say that synthetic progestins are the main risk element of HRT (albeit very slight) but the vast majority of experts agree that HRT risk in general is very minimal and the advantages to other aspects of health outweigh the disadvantages. 

It is worth noting that all the negative studies on HRT were seriously flawed and have now been discredited as bad epidemiology.  The HRT available today is nearly all transdermal and bio identical and not the same outdated, heavy duty stuff used in the flawed studies.  The new NICE guidelines would indicate we now have some consensus on this. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »

Lisajp - You've heard too many scare stories. Mary G makes some good points.  The breast cancer risk only really kicks in after 60 and even then the risks are low.  If you get breast cancer, you get it. It is now questionable whether HRT actually causes breast cancer but my understanding it that the synthetic progesterones carry a slightly higher risk (Utrogestan is described as 'breast friendly' by many professionals now) and if one should be unlucky enough to  develop an oestrogen sensitive breast cancer then HRT could make it worse.  If you have a close relative with breast cancer then close monitoring would be wise but you do need to balance these small risks against the benefits and they include:
Reduction in menopausal systems e.g. flushes, night sweats etc.
Protection from osteoporosis and heart disease. 
Reduced risk of developing bowel cancer.
Helps to prevents Vaginal atrophy and bladder problems.
Can help improve and/or maintain libido.
Improved health and mental wellbeing.
The list goes on and on…….. ::)

DG xxx

Ljp

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

You are right, I have heard too many scare stories, and the reaction from some people when you mention HRT is such that I feel I am seriously risking my health.

Re proves tins then? Which the mirena releases, would I be better to have it removed and use utrogestan instead?

Sorry so many questions and driving myself insane overthinking

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »

Lisajp - I would stick with the Mirena as Utrogestan doesn't suit everyone either, many of us get problems with spotting and erratic bleeding - no regime will be perfect. It is easy to over think things - just start some Oestrogel, leave the Estring in place for 3 months and see how it goes. DG x

Mary G

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »

Good post DG, I would add lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure and better thyroid function to that list of health benefits.  My blood test results have better readings for practically everything since switching to the oestrogen gel. 

I would suggest you keep the Mirena coil now that you have had it fitted, there is no point in putting yourself through another procedure so soon and you might as well give it a try. 

I wonder how many lives have been ruined by all the bogus and unfounded HRT scare stories?  If I had lost years of my life to dreadful, embarrassing menopause symptoms, I really don't know how I would feel now.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »

I tried 3 years without HRT in my early 50s because of the scares - then, after having the Mirena out at the end of it's life, the practise nurse told me to have time out from HRT at the age of 57 - so that's 4 years of my life lost already.  I can honestly say I was leading a half life without HRT.  DG x

Ljp

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

It's easy to muddle through each day thinking there will someday be a time when I might feel somewhat normal again, but when?

I have lost me somewhere, do t get me wrong, it's not all doom and gloom, but definitely not the happy go lucky person I used to be, frequent urination and urgency,  stress, overthinking, tiredness, lethargy, night sweats, brain fog, have all taken their toll. Yet still I have done my upmost to weather the storm, feeling guilty, a failure, and somewhat rebellious/ dancing with danger to consider HRT due to all the scare mongering, horror stories, bad press and post menopausal women's attitudes surrounding it.
Pages: 1 [2]