Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bad taste in mouth  (Read 3479 times)

Milamam

Bad taste in mouth
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »

Hello everyone,
I have beeb recently given additional progesterone to take days 11-28, on top of my HRT , to control frequent bleeding. These past days, when I started the increase dose, I notice bad taste in mouth and it seems that my gums feel inflamed. No gum bleeding, just the feeling of it. The tasted in mouth resembles the taste one has when suffering with sinusitis, but no sinusitis per se. Humm, can this be an effect of the extra prog, or am I starting a sinus infection for real?
Has anyone had this before?
I will be visiting my gynea tomorrow and will bring this up, but don't want to sound funny or ridiculous to him!! 😢

Thank you all!
Milamam

Kathleen

Re: Bad taste in mouth
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »

Hello Milamum.

I think it is a reasonable question to put to your Doctor tomorrow. During the early part of my first pregnancy I had a metallic taste in my mouth and the reason all women are offered free dental care for a year after delivery is because  our gums and teeth are vulnerable at this time, so your problems may indeed be caused by the extra prog.

Take care and keep us updated.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »

Some medications can cause a metallic taste.

I did have an alteration in my sense of smell when taking The Pill.  I could smell garbage only  :-\ ……. so you may well be reacting to the hormones!  Let us know what your gyane thinks.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »

Sounds more like gingivitis. Perhaps consult with your oral hygienist for some advice.

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »

Thank you all! Will let you know what the consultant says today. Mouth feels better today though, very strange...

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »

Also... "pine mouth" can cause weird metallic taste in some people - from pine nuts - they did this to me.

Hurdity x