Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Aqua aerobics  (Read 14708 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aqua aerobics
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »

Am I able to do star jumps from the settee  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »

Haha - CLKD no I don't shut the curtains. I live in a small village and there is the back wall of a low barn with no windows opposite me and the lane only has 5 more houses so hardly anyone walks by! From the settee? - only with your arms!
cubagirl - that sounds hilarious
Kathleen I can appreciate with hormones going up and down it's not so easy but I am post-menopausal and stable so I need to make sure I am fit as I'm in my 60's especially. You may find that even a small amount of exercise makes you feel better! Tai Chi always looks visually appealing but I wouldn;t have the patience to do the slow movements - which is why I've never donew yoga - not even for 5 mins!
babyjane - Pilates is wonderful - I do Fitness Pilates which I think involves more repetitions of movements than ordinary Pilates but I don't really know. It really is fantastic for building core strength and if you do it regularly is not quite so hard
Any form of swimming is really good because it's not weight-bearing and therefore great if you have joint/back problems or overweight as well as if you're not

You can tell I' m a bit evangelical about exercise :)

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »

Hurdity it was hilarious. Of course told my brother & SIL when they visited us. So my cheeky brother sat in a chair, back to the window & lifted his legs up in all sorts of positions. We were on the floor in stitches!  ;D

I did Pilate's for a while, but teacher was a dragon. Not conducive for relaxation. Haven't found another instructor near here.

getting_old

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »

Do they do armbands for adults? I've often thought about aqua aerobics but can't swim and hate getting water in my face, plus our new house is a long way from a pool
so my current exercise is walking the dog for around an hour most days, plus skating a few times a week - DH reckons it's done wonders for firming my lower half  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »

Is that ice or roller skating? 

Most leisure centres have arm bands for sale or visit a sports shop.  Getting the face wet is important, so that you don't jump when splashed.  I spent a lot of time swimming underwater as a kid  ::)

getting_old

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

Ice skating, although did try inline skating a few times too, but only when it was TOTALLY flat and last time out I managed to fall and break my thumb  :'(  Ice is much softer than our front path!

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »

:o ……. we used to skate when the rivers were frozen.  Didn't dare try in-line skates, I was 40 when I considered them, however, the older I got the harder I fell  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »

We used to love skating on meadows next to frozen rivers (in N of England) - we could go for ages - fantastic fun and so safe because there was no water to fall into when the ice used to just crack sometimes - haven't done this for years. The tiny ice areas that come into some city centres at Christmas don't seem the same somehow but I would love to do it again (in the wild) but it is rarely frozen for long enough down here and there are no commercial ice rinks anywhere near. Great exercise though (until you fall over!).

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »

I feel I've done my exercise reading about what everyone else  does! ;D

GS was very impressed with me showing him how to do star jumps! So was I!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »

:o …….. star jumps  ::)

There's a large ice arena in Brighton, it was busy when we walked by ……… they have set up a restaurant too so everyone can join in.   Whether I would dare have a go these days  ::)

getting_old

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »

When we were kids we used to skate down the street on the hard packed snow - it was quite a steep hill so hard work to get back home!
First time I went skating recently I had skates that didn't fit properly and I wore my thickest ski suit plus thermals. I was absolutely baking after a couple of circuits, but soon got the hang of things. I've since invested in skates that fit, which makes a big difference, and wear less  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »

My ankles always knock together when skating  ::) - no such problems with swimming other than the need to shave my legs etc.  >:(  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 03:28:37 PM »

I never shave my legs, not even on swimming days  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »

Blonde then  ;D - or do you have a kaftan on  ;) - I have hairy toes too which would probably divert eyes from the knees and legs  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »

neither, I'm just not hung up about it.  I don't have a great deal of leg hair, just a strip down each shin. It doesn't bother me so why would it bother anyone else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3