Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan query  (Read 2325 times)

jedigirl

Utrogestan query
« on: November 15, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »

Am hoping to pick the brains of those who are more knowledgeable than I!
I swapped two months ago to a different regime of Utrogestan from 1-25days to 14 days (with Oestrogel) because of erratic bleeding.
The bleeding has now settled into more of a pattern but i noticed that some women take 12 days of Utrogestan and others 14. My bleeding the past two months has been two days before end of finishing Utrogestan so would it make more sense to take just 12 days? Am at meno clinic in 6 weeks but can anyone advise now? I have two more days to take and am wondering whether to take them as I have started a bleed tonight?
Jedigirl x

Cassie

Re: Utrogestan query
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »

I take it 12 days a mth, works very well, cannot think that the 2 days would make much difference....

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »

The effect of progesterone on opposing oestrogen's stimulation if the endometrium is dose dependent. The licensed dose is 12 days but this can be adjusted either way (it says this somewhere) depending on your bleeds. If yours is heavy, prolonged and/or erratic then a longer course would give better control - I would say even the two extra days. You could try reducing to 12 and see what happens? I can't remember if you use it orally or vaginally?

Hurdity x

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »

Thanks both,
I use it orally Hurdity. Periods are light, reasonably regular on this regime, last five days. Might try 12days, thanks x

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »

Without wishing to sound totally dim, how many days on Oestrogel only would i use before adding in the 12 days Utrogestan?

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »

I usually start it on the 15th of each mth just easier to remember.

Grizzler

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »

Without wishing to sound totally dim, how many days on Oestrogel only would i use before adding in the 12 days Utrogestan?

Oestrogel is continuous every day, progesterone on cyclical regime is for 10-14 days per month on a regular basis. If you still have a regular cycle you can try to work it in with that so that the withdrawal bleed occurs at the 'scheduled' time, or else just choose a set start date that's easy to remember. I went for the first days of the month (i.e. 1st-10th/14th) - so it's 10-14 on prog + oest and the rest oest only. 
I was told that it's a bit like the combined pill and you can mess around with it a bit, timing-wise, if you need to occasionally (e.g. for special occasions, etc) IF your body will play ball with that. I don't tink that it's absolutely set in stone as long as your womb lining is getting the protection which it needs and is having a chance to shed if it needs to (which in turn has a dose relationsip with how much oestogen you're taking - very low dose and you may not get enough build up to 'bleed' much, apparently).
Also, if you react badly to the progeserone element, I was told that you can up the oestrogel dose a bit to compensate just before and during the 10-14 days of taking that.