Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does anyone know Which antidepressants are good for keeping migrains away  (Read 2703 times)

zodiac

Hiya  everyone

Just wanting to know which antidepressants prople have found that are good for keeping migrains away n good for mood swings n insomnia, anxiety, and stress feeling that things are just to much to cope with, i rather let someone else take over wot is making me stress out n put me in a mood lol, i can get sooo mad n want to throw things lol n rant and rave, n can feel weepy, feel taken for granted etc is it depression or just the symptoms of menopause ??
Im sick of not being able to sleep and headaches, and all of the above but think if i could get a decents nites sleep id be ok, but have to get up at 5am 5 days aweek, for wrk, and dont realy get what i consider a lie in at weekends or school holls coz i cant sleep lol .i wake up 4/5 times a nite for a wee or just wake up so then i cant fall of to sleep then can sleep when alarm goes of at 5 or sometimes i wake up at 4-30 am n get up
So which is good for all this lol or am i in need of a padded cell hahaha x
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:04:24 AM by zodiac »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

You need to learn to say 'no' !  It really does get easier the more often you say it.  Don't justify yourself.  If asked to do something tell the person you have to check your diary/calendar and will get back, but not to wait around for your answer but to find someone else 'in case' the date isn't suitable for you to assist.  Works for me.  After a couple of times the person bugging me went away.

There isn't an AD that comes to mind …… you have to speak with a Pharmacist or GP for advice.  It may be that if you lessen stress in your Life you will have less headaches.  Also, it can spread from the mid-sholder area upwards into the base of the skull so making sure that you are relaxed and exercise gently is important.

marras

Hi Zodiac, in haste as on way to hairdressers but just wanted to suggest Amitryptline on a low dose has a good track record for lessening migraine. Am on it myself and helps loads with General mood and sleeping. Not for everyone but worth a try. There are several threads on this.
Xx

Grizzler

Hi there. I have some experience of both ADs, psychological issues, Meno and headaches/migraines (and some training in medicines) - and you have my sympathies.
Without knowing your symptoms and circumstances it's hard to comment, and as in all things a conversation with your GP is advised, but do I wonder if ADs are the right way to go for you (and why you ask?).
ADs are really there as treatment for depression and anxiety (in the SNRI case particularly), if (in my opinion) it's really bad enough to warrant them and there's no other support and help available (e.g. talking therapies). I think that they're given out far too easily and can have some really nasty side effects, short and long term. But for some they're great.
For migraine/headache, they do use the Triyclic class of old ADs, and also various other old drugs such as anti-epileptics (and others). It's all a very much 'suck it and see how you respond'; some people do better, many feel no change but have side effects. For me, the Tricyclics, SSRIs and SNRIs all had side effects which I hated, and only the SNRIs did anything positive to my mood. Citalopram or Paroxetine spring to mind as SNRIs, but sure that you can Google them.
I would however personally caution against them if you can find other solutions; and they can take a long time to work and find the right dosage for, and need tapering off slowly when you stop them too. They are certainly not a magic bullet (for some). They can also make you more drowsy or, as in my case, make you not able to sleep at all!
My migraine-like bad headaches seem muscle related (spasm, fibromyalgia and hormones) and respond really well to migraine tablets (Sumatriptan) and Oestrogen in HRT.
Thinking that if your symptoms in general are Meno related, and having just read today's NICE guidelines which do not advise ADs per se, would HRT suit you best (if you can take it?) It might deal with all that you are struggling with (with a bit of tinkering or trying different types, etc). Worked wonders for me in all the areas which you've mentioned: but there are downsides and risks and it's not for everyone either.

zodiac

Well im on anatryptaline, but good thing is i can still take my sumatriptan so fingers crossed it wrks n sorts my dack out my sleep and my moods, but now waiting to go hospital for the lump to b checked out by scan and mamogram, doc thinks its just a benin lump so hope he aint just saying that so i dont panic lol x