Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New mirena coil fitted today....  (Read 1897 times)

LouE

New mirena coil fitted today....
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:35:30 PM »

Holy macaroni, it flipping hurt like nothing id felt before  >:( But positives are the doc at the well woman clinic did a scan to check all is ok with ovaries etc, she is happy letting my own doctor investigate wether i need treatment, hrt or whatever, but she says hopefully this new coil will help, fingers crossed!!!

Hurdity

Re: New mirena coil fitted today....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »

Hi LouE - oh dear - hope it feels OK now! If you are peri-menopausal then the coil will certainly help lessen or prevent any bleeding problems you have so that's great! It won't however help with the main menopausal symptoms because its function is to keep the uterus lining thin and also provide contraception. It does however mean you can take oestrogen only HRT for your menopause symptoms - and use the product of your choice ( tablet, patch or gel) without worrying about more progestogen. Good luck with your doc.  :)

Hurdity x

LouE

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »

Oh i thought the hormones in this would miraculously make everything go away  :-\

My docs appointment, also for my BP check isnt for another 3 weeks so i will keep note of my symptoms.

Ta!

elsie001

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »

Hi LouE, I had the Mirena Coil fitted on 29 Sept and have not had any problems - I was having very heavy bleeding which was why it was recommended.  My OH had the snip many moons ago so I don't need it for contraception.  My period was due around the time it was fitted so I have had blood every day since.  Not heavy, but it's still a bit of a nuisance and I'm hoping it will stop eventually!

I had hoped having the extra progesterone might help my insomnia which was definitely the worst of all my peri symptoms (I'm 49).  I still have bad nights but haven't had a full night of no sleep since having it fitted so am hopeful that it's helped a tiny bit.  Still a bit grim getting through the working day on a few hours sleep but doing that on no sleep was nothing short of torture!

LouE

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »

Hi elsie, i had the merina in for almost 4.5 yrs so this was a removal too, but i assumed the hormones in it had run out as my periods were back in the last 6 month properly, if a bit erratic. 

Im pleased to report the pains died down a lot, just a wee niggle now and again

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »

Hi LouE - no if they told you that they are wrong! The Mirena coil only contains a progestogen and it is delivered directly to the uterus. Very little gets into the system. It won't deal with the symptoms caused by peri-menopause - hormonal fluctuation and eventual oestrogen deficiency. Also depending where you are in menopause - eventually it is actually better to have some oestrogne when you have a Mirena otherwise the lining can get too thin - although as I understand this is unlikely to happen in very early peri-menopause.

Hurdity x