Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 5988 times)

hotstff

Vaginal atrophy
« on: October 30, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »

Does ordinary HRT (pills and patches) keep vaginal atrophy at bay?
Or do you always have to have something prescribe that can be applied topically and directly to that area  ???
I always assumed that taking HRT in general would at least keep this problem at bay. But is that the case?

I don't have this problem yet, but I have heard of it and am wondering ways in which to prevent it.

TheDuchess

Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

Many of us use both. I used topical before systemic for a year or two. Now used both for 7 years. The stats say that 1:4 women need both (and I expect many more do but are embarrassed to ask for anything for VA, according to some research on the topic- some of which was carried out by this site.)

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »

I was told that the topical treatment was best for va and bladder symptoms and that full hrt would not help, but it does  ::) for me, anyway.  I was using 4 vagifem a week.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »

It is better to target the problem as close as possible  ;) and for ladies who don't require 'full' HRT treatment for vaginal atrophy is still needed. For me it was like razor blades 'up there'  >:(  ::) so my GP prescribes Ovestin1mg : initially used every night 4 two weeks and then every 3 and 5/6 nights.

I don't need full HRT but couldn't cope with the razor blades!

england43

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »

I've started using vagifem again and now I'm getting pain in lower right like a period pain is that normal?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

I think that Vagifem can initially cause period like cramps  :-\ which is why I have avoided that treatment  ….. are you using every night for 2 weeks?

evey

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »

Hi, I now use Vagifem pessaries, started 12 days ago, I do use estrogel and utrogestan but was having vaginal issues ie pain, dryness, very sore; it was just getting worse and I didn't want to increase the estrogel, I asked my Dr for a prescription and I can say that so far the result has been amazing, I wish I had started using last year, it had got to the stage where I was avoiding sex due to the discomfort, can't believe I was lazy and did not use before; I am 57 and it became a sue that I noticed I think approx 2 years ago.

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »

The pills weren't enough to keep it at bay for me but using Ovestin twice a week has sorted it.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »

Same here - I use both. The important thing hotstff, is not to suffer, and as you are aware that it could become a problem - do get it treated at an early stage if you start to get symptoms - before getting to the unbearable razor blades and "Burning Club" stage.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »

The doctor never examined me to prescribe local oestrogen initially before I even went onto full HRT and subsequently her prescribing me this product, is purely based on symptoms. It is a recognised condition so doctors should go on symptoms, and after ruling out other causes such as infections, if you are peri-menopausal ( based on periods for example) they should prescribe it.

I see I answered your question and quoted the NICE Guidelines recently here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29598.msg472488.html#msg472488  I would have thought that thinning of the tissues ( a cause of symptoms) is not always immediately visible to the naked eye but as I am not a medical doctor/nurse I don't know.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

Theresa - there is no need to submit to any personal examination.  GPs should listen to symptoms and 'try' appropriate medications and not pressure patients into examinations!  After all, if a lady is from certain ethnic cultures then it is often not appropriate to be examined by a stranger  ;)

You could see your Practice Nurse?

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »

My GP prescribed Ovestin as soon as I said I was experiencing discomfort - no examination she just said to come straight back if the Ovestin didn't sort it.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

My GP offered treatment, he realised that my frequent bladder symptoms might be atrophy …….. rang me to let me know that a prescription would be waiting.  No need for examinations.  He doesn't do smear tests, the Nurses do it.  Teresa: give your Surgery a ring and ask for treatment, explaining that you "aren't prepared to undergo examination because it is too painful" -  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »

They are talking RUBBISH - R U in the UK  :-\

There is an option here to send a personal e-mail to Dr Currie for advice which costs per question - maybe that's the way for you to go? then you can take the reply to your Practice Nurse.  You are suffering un-necessarily and your GPs are not giving you best possible advice.  Sexist ?

scriv

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »

Systemic HRT and HRT patches never reached the spot - only Vagifem does that for me! I couldn't do without it for my very severe VA.
Pages: [1] 2