Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie Mood swings best way forward?  (Read 3094 times)

Dorastar

Newbie Mood swings best way forward?
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »

Joined up on here cos am too aargh for words. Am 45 and a bit hot flushy ( but have always had flushes so it's hard to tell really) am definitely tired and very definitely struggling with extreme mood swings.  Tbh they are bad enough that actual murder seems quite possible :( I know I have a,stressful job but that usually goes straight to my stomach, this is far far worse. I can go from ooh sunshine happy to forgot my phone someone is going to die within the space of one minute. Am pretty level headed and pretty sure this is hormone related. My question is whether to try the lifestyle changes and/or alternative therapies/ medicines or head to doctors. Don't want to get fobbed off as some mad loon or a hyperchondriac, nor do I want to end up in prison because a shop assistant upset me and I lost it!  I feel out of control & very grrrrrrr.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie Mood swings best way forward?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds about normal  ::)

How's your periods?  I went into peri menopause aged about 43 with periods becoming less, intermittent, then went altogether.

Have a browse of the pull down menus, top of screen.  Mood swings are probably hormonal  >:(  ::) ……. maybe keep a mood/food diary to see if there is a pattern? 

Dorastar

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »

Periods seem to have stopped, last one was 3 months ago and definitely not pregnant!!!

Have started having a nosey round the site & feel relieved to see its not just me.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

Nope - not you.  My Grans called it 'the change'  ::) …….. but didn't talk to me about any problems they had.  Both lived into their 80s  ::)

Ask away!

Dorastar

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »

Thanks, just can't afford to be psycho at home or work. Reading more on here, I have itching skin and some morning nausea too - so that's a few more things stacked up to suggest whacky hormones.  Better write a list to share with doctor
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:15:49 PM by Dorastar »

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »

You sound fairly normal,  for this stage in our lives. I remember I took an HRT break before joining this forum nearly 6 years ago. My moods could be quite awful. Mine were more like floods of tears for no reason.

I get itchy skin too sometimes, it can drive me insane. One point will itch & itch & ......

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »

My insteps itch the moment I take off my socks each evening.  I wake in the night with 1 heel straiten the other instep (scratching?).  The back of my shoulders used to itch, DH would gently rub the area which was sooting. It didn't last long each evening, nuisance value only.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »

Hi Dorastar

:welcomemm: from me too.

There's a great article about what happens to the body during peri-menopause here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

As for whether you should seek treatment and which sort - it depends on how you are coping and how it affects your quality of life.

Lifestyle changes are very very important if there are changes that need to be made re diet & healthy eating, exercise & fresh air, body weight, alcohol consumption, smoking and stress. Again I am sure you know where to find information - lots on the NHS website and some on here too:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

In terms of alternative treatments - not sure if you are thinking about relaxation therapies, herbal treatments or prescribale non HRT. Again there is info on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/remedies.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Many women find the relaxation therapies helpful in terms of de-stressing etc but of course they won't replace oestrogen as such.

I used herbal treatements when I was in your position because I was able to cope with the mood swings, flushes & sweats but eventually as I got further towards menopause it got so bad that I started HRT which I have been on ever since. You will find a lot of information about this under "Treatments" (top menu).

It isn't necessary to go the doctor especially but if you are looking for treatment then yes! Although blood tests (for FSH and estradiol) cannot tell you very much, some doctors will do them and if you get a print-out it is good to have a baseline.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

Dorastar

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:30 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

Just don't want to rush into medicating if I don't need to but on the other hand don't want to hang around feeling dreadful for too long.  Have made myself slow down and rest today which has helped but I can't do that when I'm at work.

No appointments at doctors till Friday so will weigh up whether to ring up then

Dorastar

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »

Well updating to say no update really, on the mood front things are slightly less erratic but I also have the night time itchiness and morning nausea (fab).  Not seen doctor as they have a new system where the doc talks to you over phone & then allocates an appointment if necessary. Not really sure how that works for something like menopause so going to pop in & ask receptionist.  Could only speak to a machine this morning.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »

Good luck with that Dorastar!

Hope you manage to get an appointment. Even if you don't want treatment as yet you might find it helpful to talk to the docs and also they may order blood tests at your age. Even if the FSH levels don't tell you anything -  as I said in my other post it's great if they do the whole lot and then you've got a baseline for many of the other things they measure (hopefully!) too. The main thing is if you do go to the doc, don't let them fob you off with anti-depressants (if you don't want them) because of your mood swings, which is an easy way out for them!

Let us know how you get on and what you decide and if you want to talk more about things that we've found helpful or what's recommended then we're here to help  :)

Hurdity x