Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Best place to rub oestrogel  (Read 46892 times)

abbyH

Best place to rub oestrogel
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »

I read it was better to do on thighs, something about lymph glands
but today read (in one of the many pro-HRT articles, that 'Oestrogen creams and gels rubbed into the skin of the shoulder and forearm are absorbed better (avoid the thighs, because oestrogen loves fat and will make your thighs hold onto it, causing cellulite - the same is true for your tummy).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3251354/Could-natural-HRT-transform-life-No-woman-facing-menopause-miss-natural-way-end-hot-flushes.html#ixzz3p2bxJgtq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So, should it be rubbed into arms or thighs?

I've been thigh-rubbing for a few months and haven't spotted any extra cellulite. any proof that oestrogen loves fat'?

thanks

Abby

Joyce

Re: Best place to rub oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

When I used it, I first used in on my thighs, but hated feeling of them sticking together afterwards, so switched to upper arm.  Though can't say I noticed any extra cellulite when used on my thighs.

abbyH

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »

Thanks cubagirl!
I will try it on arms too
I thought I'd read somewhere it should be applied below the waist  - maybe someone else can remember the link or reason why?

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »

I rub it on my lower leg between knee and ankle and it dries so quickly theres not stickiness, then again I am only using one and a teeny bit pumps but dont think arms are a good idea, being too near the breast area.

TheDuchess

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »

Do you have the carton which your gel came in? Mine always has a leaflet and on the HUGE leaflet there is a diagram of the body which shows shaded areas of where to apply. The areas to apply gel are marked; they are the upper thighs or the upper outer arms and shoulders.

I understand that it ought to be applied to areas that have fat cells which aids absorption. I think applying it to the shins is not recommended due to poor absorption- the shins have very little tissue.

I read the Daily Mail article- it's from a book by the doctor but was in fact written many years ago. There are some inaccuracies in the advice she gives, compared to current advice and whether this is the author's fault or the journalist who has edited the book(if it's edited) that's unclear.

Applying on the upper arms is fine. It should not be applied to the breasts themselves of course, but unless you are applying it to your inner arms then it shouldn't even touch your breasts, especially if you are wearing a bra or clothing.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »

Personally I would not apply anywhere on the upper body ie shoulders or arms - despite what it says on the leaflet. All other transdermal oestrogen preparations (patches, and Sandrena gel) say to apply to lower trunk ie below the waist.

Also there is some dispute about whether it should be rubbed in as such. The instructions say "apply" implying spread ( which is how I apply tesosterone gel) although other women on here say their pharmacists has said it's OK to do this.

Hurdity x

TheDuchess

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »

Is the issue with the patch though not one of appearance and making sure it doesn't fall off?

can you advise why it's better not to apply to the arms? I've been doing this for some time. It's obviously a concern if there are known or presumed higher risks.

The instructions with gel say it dries in 5 minutes, which it does. The instructions warn about transference within one hour by direct skin to skin contact with another person, especially male.

You don't rub it on. You smooth it on lightly with your whole hand and allow to dry.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:34:51 PM by TheDuchess »

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »

can you advise why it's better not to apply to the arms?

Would think if it's upper arms then it could be too close to the boobs.
Which is a big no no.

TheDuchess

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »

I understand that Limpy, but the point is you have to be careful not to let your arms (outside edge not inner arm) touch your boobs which is fine if you wear a bra and a top after application -when it's dry.

I would assume the risk of breast cancer is to do with oestrogen being in the bloodstream- however it gets there. Be very happy to learn otherwise.

Since reading this post I looked online and every single piece of information about where to use gel says upper arms and some manufacturers say thighs. I found a Q&A to a pharmacist and their reply was use as directed and contact the manufacturers if you want to use in any other way.

Obviously it's worrying if there is something I/ we don't know about because I'd then change my behaviour!

This is the info for application here
http://www.estrogel.com/how-to-use-estrogel

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 07:28:14 PM »

Don't know in detail.

But I saw this
"Exposure to oestrogen
The female hormone, oestrogen, can sometimes stimulate breast cancer cells and cause them to grow"

In the NHS site
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of-the-breast-female/Pages/Causes.aspx

Suppose it depend on whether  the NHS know anything about anything.
Don't think I'd be too keen on putting oestrogel or sticking a patch anywhere near my boobs though.
It's a bit like kissing somebody with a cold sore when the herpes virus is already in your system - not a good idea, it kicks things off again.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:26:41 PM by Limpy »

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »

I’m surprised that one of the ladies on here is not only commenting but is being quite forthright about something that I think they don’t even use (I think I read in a post that this lady uses patches?

I use patches - I commented because it's a transdermal method of delivery and felt it isn't that different to oestrogel. Certainly with patches the emphasis is applying them below waist level. Possibly the concern is with oestrogen triggering breast cancer? Local application of hormones do make a difference, think of using local oestrogen for VA.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:55:38 PM by Limpy »

TheDuchess

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »

That is interesting and also somewhat reassuring Lucy to know that a dr uses it that way. I happen to know that Dr Evans had a hysterectomy- she's been open about this on radio- so her risk of breast cancer using oestrogen only will be lower anyway(according to the stats.)

I have though read that it ought not to be rubbed in (like a body lotion) but smeared on maybe like the way we'd rub a styling gel through our hair.
I'm not disagreeing with you, or what you were told,  but I think the link I posted says just smooth it on....? So it becomes confusing.

I'd assume a patch is different because it releases the product slowly but continuously. This is a very different process to gel which is applied once or twice a day; you can swim or bathe an hour after application so the product is then in the blood stream and not constantly being absorbed into the tissues. I completely understand not applying the gel to the breasts or very near to them on the torso because this could directly stimulate the breast tissue. But our outer arms are not in contact with the breasts and I don't know if it's right to extrapolate 'don't apply on the breast area' to 'don't apply anywhere on the upper body or upper limbs'.

Interesting discussion but it's certainly worrying me that what I've been doing  is dangerous.

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »

As stated earlier I was told and always have been to rub it in deeply and slowly until it is absorbed, only takes a few mins. I have used it like this for the past 10 yrs if not more and have never had any issues and boy it works, only one and a bit plunges and no symptoms whatsoever, perhaps I am just fortunate, but I do believe rubbing it in is the answer....

TheDuchess

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »

It's confusing.
These are what the instructions say in the link I posted

Using your hand, apply EstroGel to the skin of your other arm.

Spread the gel as thinly as possible from your wrist to your shoulder.
Do not massage or rub in EstroGel. Allow the gel to dry for up to 5 minutes before you get dressed.
Do not apply EstroGel directly to your breasts or in and around your vagina.

I'd not be able to spread from wrist to shoulder as I use 1 pump over 2 arms, morning and evening, so I am only applying half a pump to each arm, which is a tiny amount.

Cassie

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »

1 pump could easily be rubbed into an arm if needs be :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5