Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Adrenaline surges  (Read 3788 times)

Spangles

Adrenaline surges
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »

Does anyone wake up with a a adrenaline surge?
I do and I don't quite know how to manage it.
Does anyone have any advice please?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

jorainbow

Re: Adrenaline surges
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:19:12 AM »

Ignore it. Easier said than done but that's the best way. Or distract - mahjong is a good one if you have a smartphone. Crossword book or a cup of tea.  I sometimes wake up as if I haven't taken a breath which is scary but my body calms itself down. The trick is to not feed the adrenaline by making more worrying about the adrenaline if you get my drift. If you are really struggling though speak to gp or practice nurse. My anxiety got so bad 11 years ago I was beyond all the self help and needed some meds for a few months til my body got back on an even keel.  Hope this helps a little xx

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

I get them in the evening, same time every day - hour before bed. Like Jorainbow says, try to distract yourself. The good thing is, you know they will go x

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »

I wake with this and pounding heart. I breathe deeply through them now until I calm then can usually sleep again. I breathe in deeply for three, hold for three then let go as many times as i need.
Hugs x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »

4 me it's like hot water coursing through my veins, scared the <<<< out of me the first few times.  Now I follow one vein to see if it takes a specific route, I suppose it does ....... pity I can't actually see it!  Didn't last for long once I realised what it was. 

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »

Hello Shelb.

I went through a spell of this last summer and I agree with the other ladies about breathing deeply and distraction. I must confess I didn't always apply sensible techniques and I remember getting very annoyed and pressing on my HRT patch and yelling ' work, damn you, work '. I am now using a different patch but I think that phase has passed as I don't get   that particular problem anymore.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »

An adrenaline surge... Can that also include waking up with a startle? That happens to me quite a lot, and it's pretty unsettling...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »

Yep.  Or it could be a blood sugar issue …….. waking suddenly makes me feel sick = anxiety.