Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IBS - Sourdough Bread may help?  (Read 5755 times)

Limpy

IBS - Sourdough Bread may help?
« on: October 17, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »

OH saw something in the New Scientist which suggested that modern bread, made using using fast fermenting techniques may aggravate IBS. Apparently something to do with not all of the yeast sugars being successfully fermented. Traditional Sourdough bread was mentioned as an alternative along with traditional French bread made using French flour.

OH was very taken with the article as he loves bread but it kicks off his IBS. I couldn't find a link to anything online directly discussing the link to IBS but I did find a couple of things talking about the health benefits of Sourdough bread in general

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/12/rise-sourdough-bread-slow-fermented-health-benefits

http://www.sourdough.co.uk/why-is-it-that-i-can-digest-sourdough-bread-and-not-commercial-bread/

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:23:07 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IBS - Sourdough Bread may help?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

He is offering to experiment Limpy - let us know so that we can follow the smell of baking bread to your kitchen  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »

He is offering to experiment Limpy - let us know so that we can follow the smell of baking bread to your kitchen  ;)

Er No  ;D

He has baked bread in the past (14 years ago) but that was using a new fangled Panasonic bread maker with speedy type yeast.

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »

My DH has always made bread and after a recent cottage holiday in Wales where we had a home made sourdough loaf he decided to try one himself. We got a starter from the local farm shop and away he went. It really is nice bread with no fat or sugar in. You use the same starter , keeping it in the fridge and feeding it with flour when you want to make a loaf- we call our starter 'Sid. There are lots of u tube videos about how to do it and Paul Hollywood has recipes. I can see that absence of sugar or added preservative might help with ibs, it's a lovely light loaf with a crunchy crust,toasts well too. It's not a speedy loaf to make ,it has to be proved overnight but it smells lovely when it's cooking.

Thorntrees

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »

Just had a chat with OH.
Apparently it's the unfermented sugars, rather than yeast, which disrupt the gut.
Whatever, if it works.........

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »

Galadriel started her own starter.....I remember I'm sure. I like making bread but generally use a bread maker. I would like to have a starter for sour dough.

I actually don't eat that much bread as I feel bloated afterwards. I do have toast on occasions but that's about it.

I have cereal for breakfast so no bread then. Occasionally bread for lunch, so I wonder if it's worth while.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »

I actually don't eat that much bread as I feel bloated afterwards. I do have toast on occasions but that's about it.

OH gets bloated too.
Hence him getting so pleased to see the New Scientist article.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »

Hopefully GD can tell us her SD starter recipe. Maybe that can cut down on the time it takes to get it right and then we will be churning out loaves. It's a bit of an art I think.

I find bread making...on the rare occasions I do it by hand....very therapeutic.

Honeybun
X
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:43:31 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »

Sounds a bit like the 'friendship cake' - 1 keeps a yeast mix and when it is required, it is 'fed'.  1 then halves the mix and passes it to a friend  ::).  Chain letter gone mad in my opinion  ;D

Live yeast bothers me a bit ...........  :-\ :-X
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:30:11 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »

Whooops - I felt guilty not feeding the yeast starter but we didn't want any more cake.  It was *yeast* for goodness sake  ::) but I still felt guilty  :D

Galadriel

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »

Sooty to take ages to reply... Been off lounge for a bit.

The sourdough starter is a doddle to make... quite fun too watching it come to life.

I've used this recipe and a big kilner jar and it works well - http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/sourdough-starter/

I've also made one with organic wholemeal flour and water. There should be enough naturally occurring yeasts in the flour. It takes a bit longer but you don't have bits of fruit in the starter. I will try to find e recipe for this one - from a breadmaking class I went to. It's in a safe place  ::)

My gut is way better with traditional baguette, German Ryebread and spelt loaves.

Note to self - ditch the modern loaf!!!

Galadriel x

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »

:thankyou:     Galadriel

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »

Sooty, have you been partaking of the grape tonight  ;D And as for being off lounge.....ooo  ;D ;D

Is it the starter that causes such...umm jolliness.

I'm going to get making PDQ  ;D

Thanks GD.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

Initiative test ? ………

It's the G&t talking  ;)

honeybun