Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member - hello & advice needed re Femoston  (Read 3571 times)

chris65

• First Flush
New member - hello & advice needed re Femoston
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »

Hello, I'm nearly 51, been having heavy periods every 3 weeks for last 3 years then they just stopped at the end of August, I expected them to get more spaced apart but they just stopped. Since then my night sweats got worse foggy head for 3 weeks & feel generally rubbish. Dr Tom blood & says I'm now at the start of menopause & has given me Femoston for a 3 month trial.  Problem is I'm on hols 28th November so want to plan the start of these to avoid a bleed whilst on hols but I can't find out what week of each pack to expect a bleed - can anyone advise please?

Dancinggirl

Re: New member - hello & advice needed re Femoston
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »

Hi and welcome chris65
Femoston is a good one to try - it has the kinder progesterone so suits many women really well.  You should get a withdrawal bleed a couple of days after you finish the first full month of pills - so you take a couple of weeks of the oestrogen only pills and then a couple of weeks of the combined oestrogen and progesterone pills - you then start a fresh pack of pills straight away and the bleed usually arrives 2-4 days after starting this new pack. The leaflet should really explain this - if it doesn't then I would contact the pharmaceutical company that makes them and complain. You should feel some benefits within the first 2-3 months. Keep us posted about your progress. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »

Hi chris65

:welcomemm: from me too

Some women also get a bleed towards the end of the second part of the pack ie the combi tablets instead of just after changing back to the oestrogen only. Also if your own cycle decides to resume after you've started taking them you may get bleeding at the "wrong time" . Assuming all is OK then I would make sure you are not in the last week of the combi tabs or the first week of the new pack while you are on holiday. Depending on how heavy the bleed is you miight still be at the tail end going into the second week of the new pack but hopefully not much at this point or it might even be all over!

Which Femoston have you been given and how long is your holiday? Somewhere nice I hope?!  :)

Hurdity x

chris65

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »

Hello, thank you all for your replies. I've been given 1/10 & the leaflet just says to expect a monthly withdrawal bleed but doesn't say when & as its continuous tablets I was unsure but now I think about it it does make sense it would be when you 'withdraw' the ones with progesterone in so prob the 1st week of new pack. Although after looking at more posts on here it seems any time between day 25 -day 5.  I'm going on hols to Fuertaventura for a week, hoping these Hrt work quick or I'll be really hot & mad as a hatter! I'm going to try & work it so I'll be taking days 14-21 whilst in there does that sound about right?

Mwapemusonda

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »

I'm new to the forum! It has been four years now since I had hysteroctomy! I'm 50 years now and the hot flashes are not getting better. I take soya milk and sage. It is hard in the night as I hardly sleep, and feel very tired all day! Sometimes I wander if there is anything that would help

Charity

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:25:19 AM »

Hi Mwapemusaonda and welcome to MM
Do start your own thread so more ladies can respond to you.
You are far too young to be without oestrogen so do ask fro a referral to a gynae or meno clinic.
do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  My neighbour had a hyster in her mid 40s, she is now in her mid 50s - she was suffering with terrible flushes and night sweats until I mentioned this site and suggested she try some oestrogen - she is using some Oestrogel daily and now has her life back.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »

Hi Mwapemusonda

:welcomemm: from me too!

You didn't say whether your ovaries were removed at the same time as the hysterectomy? If so you should have been given oestrogen then to help protect your heart and bones. Either way I agree with Dancinggirl -  oestrogen will eliminate the worst of your symptoms of flushes and sweats so that you can get a good night's sleep and function better in the day.

The good news is that you don't need progestogens which can be problematic for some women, so I suggest you make an appointment with your GP (or someone in the practice who understand menopause and will prescribe HRT). I'm afraid soya milk and sage won't do anything long term as you have found.

Good luck and keep is posted!  :).

Hurdity x

Linda52

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »

Hi Chris,
I'm on the same Femoston as you. I was having horrendous hot flushes and night sweats. after only 2 weeks on the tablets they all stopped, yippee😀😀. My bleed came two days after taking the first month.
Good luck
Linda x