Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 2790 times)

Cassie

Diabetes
« on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »

Morning ladies, bit worried, sure someone can assist. Hubby has been for some blood tests, thus my previous question as his cholesterol was a bit raised but has now been sent for full fasting cholesterol to get all the levels and the GP also tested blood sugar said will wait for the results but that she thought he could be pre diabetic. What is the implications of this, can it still be controlled with diet, exercise etc or does it inevitably lead to full blown diabetes. It is not an illness I am familiar with, all I know is that some people have to inject themselves, others not, any advise would be most appreciated whilst we wait for the results to come back. He does try to eat reasonably well but does have a very sweet tooth and could lose a few pounds although not excessively overweight....

honeybun

Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »

Probably not a lot to worry about to be honest. With life style changes this can be prevented normally from turning into Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetics don't inject insulin, it's controlled by pills.

My hubby is Type 1, an insulin injector. He had no warning signs, it was just something that happened a few years ago.
If you look on the diabetes UK website all will be explained.

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »

Thankyou HB will take a look, am so stressed....

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »

Try not to panic. Basically it means if he doesn't change his ways he might and the emphasis is on might develop type 2.

Type one is a whole different ball game because if it's not managed properly then it's a bit if a nightmare to be honest.

Your GP is doing the right thing and then when he finds out he cab make dietary changes. Basically no more sweet stuff.

If you want some hints then just ask me as I've become a reluctant expert over the years.  ::)

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »

Thankyou and I feel so sorry for him as he adores his sweet treats but yeah I guess the writing is on the wall, it will do him good to cut back on the midnight snax....thx HB appreciate your reassurance x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

Hi Cassie

Just to also agree with what honeybun says. There was a lot of fuss about "pre-diabetes" but not so long ago I heard that there had been some backtracking as it's not actually a condition. It is basically if your blood sugar levels are over a certain amount so if unchecked could lead to Type 2 diabetes.  I knew someone who developed Type 2 diabetes in older age but was also somewhat overweight and enjoyed a lot of sweet foods, and also needed more exercise. Hers was controlled completely by diet (as far as I remember). Ditto I knew someone who was in the "pre-diabetic" range despite being very slim (but he enjoyed sweet treats!), but he was put on a programme to reduce blood sugar, completely by diet and is now within the healthy range.

Yes he must cut out the sweet treats and sugar generally (including sugar in prepared foods), and ideally cut out/down refined carbs to stabilise his blood sugar levels. Many people in today's western world will have blood sugar levels in this range because there is too much sugar in the diet/processed foods and it's all easily available. It does tend to worsen in older age but there are also a frightening number of younger people also developing Type 2 diabetes.

To be honest I thnk cutting down sugar and refined carbs in the diet is good for anyone especially women approaching menopause because it helps maintain a hleathy weight and will eliminate as far as possible some of those awful symptoms due to blood sugar surges/dips and insulin spikes.

That means less choccy & cake girls!  :(

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »

I was told I was insulin resistant by my gynaecologist, as I was having some symptoms, as well as raised glucose levels. Apparently, I was at just as much risk of developing diabetes, despite having an ideal bmi weight for my height. However, my waist was the same width as my narrow hips. I followed dietary advice ( low carb, sugar, snacking) as I have a very strong family history of diabetes. I lost weight and my weight has stablised and I have a waist. At the beginning of the year, I had a mot at my surgery and my glucose levels were back in normal levels. I now have the odd 'naughty' thing to eat. The great thing is I look much better in my clothes, though I had to buy some new ones as I dropped a size.